Chapter 7: Day Before the Wedding

I woke up early in the morning on the day before my wedding, feeling restless and anxious. I tossed and turned in bed for a few minutes before finally getting up and deciding to go for a jog to clear my head.

I quickly changed into my running clothes, put my headphones on while playing an upbeat song, and headed out into the cool morning air at the park three blocks away from my apartment.

I pounded the pavement with each step, trying to clear my mind as I jogged through the park.

"I couldn't believe that I am getting married tomorrow, especially to a woman I had once loathed," I sighed as I trudged with an overwhelming mix of emotions about my situation.

As I ran, memories of the night he had slept with Laia flooded back to me. I can still vividly recall her soft and luscious lips, her cool and refreshing scent that still lingers in my mind, along her soft moans that excited and piqued my desire to eat her whole night without thinking too much about the consequences.

I started asking myself why I hated her before and why we used to argue when we were young. However, her image during that night kept creeping into my mind.

I shook my head, trying to push the thoughts out of my mind. I knew I couldn't change the past, but I couldn't help feeling regret for the actions that had led me to this point. I had always been independent and free-spirited, and the thought of being tied down in a marriage was suffocating to me.

I was in the middle of my jog when I suddenly became aware of a group of men watching me from a distance. They were standing on the other side of the park, leaning against a tree and casually smoking cigarettes, but their gazes were fixed firmly on me.

At first, I shrugged it off as paranoia. But as I continued my jog, I couldn't shake the feeling that the men were following me. Every time I looked over, they were still there, watching me with dark, intense eyes.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I slowed to a stop and approached the men, determined to find out what was going on.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

The men looked at each other, then back at me. One of them, a burly man with a scar on his cheek, stepped forward.

"We're here to protect you, Mr. Aziel," he said gruffly. "Your father-in-law, Mr. Arsenio, wants to make sure you're safe."

My stomach dropped as I remembered the day they dragged me away and threatened me to follow them despite being extremely exhausted from the flight. They said they were here to ensure my safety, though, in fact, they are here only to make sure I can't get away from them.

"I appreciate your concern," I said carefully. "But I can take care of myself. I don't need a babysitter. Can you please leave me alone?"

The men looked at each other again, then nodded.

"No can do, Mr. Aziel," the scarred man said. "We'll be nearby and will try not to disturb you."

I watched as the men turned and walked away, keeping a distance but not leaving me entirely alone. I could feel my gut shudder just by seeing them following me everywhere, so I decided to return home to peacefully have breakfast and freshen up.

Luckily, they didn't follow me around the apartment, though I had my doubts.

I sat in my room after eating breakfast and taking a quick shower, flipping through the old photo book I took from Carlo and reminiscing about my childhood. As I looked through the pictures, something caught my eye. It was a photo of me and Laia from our first grade in elementary school.