Chapter 6: What to prepare

I never really cared who I ended up with. However, marriage is quite insufferable for a happy-go-lucky like me. Will she cooperate or will she let me die without mercy?

"Hah! Laia... Is this what you were talking about that night? I feel like I'm a moth caught in a blazing fire," I sighed, covering my eyes with my right arm, lying flat on a soft and unfamiliar bed in a huge unfamiliar room, and guarded by armed men by the door.

I felt like a prisoner whose life was about to end. I don't even know if I am already regretting jumping into this mess. I only felt sleepy and uneasy. Let it be if this is the end of me.

I wanted to think more about the situation, but my body suddenly shut down on its own. It was already bright outside.

"Did you sleep well, Mr. Elrod?" Mr. Adler asked.

"I'm not sure if it's a good thing, but I did," I replied as I rolled out of bed.

I felt refreshed since they were no longer pointing their guns at me. However, I still feel jitters from seeing their sudden movements. I think I'm quite traumatized. Will it always be like this from now on?

"It's good to hear. The young lady was already informed of the situation, and she wished to have a conversation with you, but the boss only allowed her to call on your phone while preparing everything needed for the wedding. Please expect a call from her in the next few hours," he stated in a calm tone.

He became quite respectful after I agreed with the marriage. It was only yesterday that he was so assertive, while the other men were quite aggressive against me. However, I can't make any mistakes. No one knows what they might do if I don't keep my word.

"I see," I mumbled nonchalantly.

"You may take your bath first. I've prepared a change of clothes. The breakfast will be ready in an hour, and we will send you back after your meal," he said while placing a huge paper bag on the nightstand before leaving the room.

Inside the bag are a pair of shoes, a formal light blue shirt, black pants, a belt, shoes, and even undergarments.

"It's the right size... They even knew my body size." I trembled while trying to calm myself. "Sh*t!"

I took a bath while arguing with myself about what to say to Laia once I received her call.

Is she really pregnant?

Why the h**l did she run away the next day?

What mess did she bring me into?

Is her father a mafia boss?

However, looking back, it wasn't entirely her fault. I don't know why I went crazy that night. It was embarrassing to admit, but I can't argue if she really got pregnant.

************************

As Mr. Adler said, they drove me home after I ate my breakfast to start preparing for the wedding. I still have no idea what to do first. Luckily, I am still on paid leave due to the expo, and they've set the date of the wedding for Saturday, but I don't think it's a good idea to inform my parents and friends about this. I have no excuse to make, and I don't want them to get involved with this mess.

While we were on the road, my phone rang a few times and it was a familiar number.

"Where are you?" a familiar voice said anxiously.

"Laia?" I asked to confirm.

"You told me to call you, but you're not even answering my calls. I've been trying to get in touch with you for a week already! I tried to warn you regarding my father's men. Then, the next thing I know, you're already captured by them!" she nagged.