Chapter 5: I was kidnapped

The night I lost sight of Laia was also the last time I tried searching for her.

I spent most of my time in the office and even at home doing the designs and reports that were assigned to me. I was currently tasked with making a design for the landscape of a multibillion-dollar beach project for a client whose identity was hidden by the company. The contact I was given was the secretary of the client, named Daniel Adler.

He's been so unreasonably stingy for some reason. I had to redesign the whole draft multiple times because he always rejected it, saying it wasn't up to their standard.

I already had my supervisors and managers involved in the design, but we couldn't figure out what was wrong with the design.

"He didn't even point out what was wrong with the design, sir," I complained.

"I know. Give up the project; the management will take care of the rest. Focus on the upcoming events," my supervisor asserted as he took the files from my hands.

I felt defeated and annoyed. It was the first time I had ever failed a project that I had worked so hard on. I gritted my teeth and took a deep breath before going back to my desk.

"Yow! What happened? You seemed annoyed," Tony asked.

"Nothing. They took over my project. The client couldn't be satisfied no matter how much I worked into it," I replied in an annoyed tone.

"Chill! Maybe they're just messing with our company," he whispered as he leaned near before looking back at his computer.

As my supervisor advised, I focused on the team project for the International Expo that will be held in France a few weeks later.

One day, my supervisor informed me that the project that was taken away from me would still be credited to me since the client suddenly accepted the last design I drafted. I smiled sarcastically in front of my supervisor, then went straight to the roof deck.

"What the F*ck!" I screamed in irritation before going back to my desk nonchalantly and continuing with the current tasks at hand.

Before going back home, I grabbed a few bottles of booze and drank on my own to sleep.

Despite the nonsensical happenings regarding the project with Mr. Adler, I made myself busy with the preparation for the expo and some additional side projects given by the company. I couldn't even remember the last time I'd had a good sleep or a peaceful meal. I had to do some overtime at the office because my own house already felt like a stranger's home.

The Expo went smoothly, though I forgot to turn on the roaming on my mobile during my whole stay overseas. I wasn't able to receive any messages from my family and friends; thus, it doesn't matter. No one will care anyway.

After the event, my coworkers decided to stay for a little bit to go sightseeing since we were allowed to extend our stay due to the successful execution of the event. However, I was too bored to play around. I just want to go home and finally get my rightful rest after weeks of sleepless nights.

I booked a ticket back home and went straight to my apartment. I was so exhausted that I went straight to bed without even cleaning up or changing my clothes. I was already dozing off when I heard my doorbell ring.

I reluctantly stood up after checking that there were missed calls on my phone from an unknown mobile number.

"Geez! Who could it be?! I'm really exhausted," I grunted in a low voice as I walked towards the door.

I opened the door and saw a familiar face. I was extremely baffled and startled to see a bunch of men behind him. Are they mafias?

I stammered in fright, "M-Mr. Adler?! W-What—"