Chapter 12: First Checkup

I nervously pushed Laia's wheelchair in her OB's office. The Nurses welcomed us politely while confirming our identity. Laia seemed to be familiar with them too.

"Welcome back Ms. Dominique! Oh! Who do we have here?!" one of the nurses greeted as she took over Laia's wheelchair leading her to another table.

"Are you her husband?" another nurse asked.

I nodded, so she gave me the forms that needed to be filled in as the other nurse took Laia's vitals.

"Are you recently married?!" the nurse asked as soon as I gave back the papers.

"Yes. Since yesterday," I answered while observing Laia's awkward reaction.

She seemed unsettled by the nurses' reactions.

"Wow! Congratulations!" the nurses gasped warmly. "Please wait in the waiting area. Dr. Santos will talk to your wife first."

I nodded, smiling as I walked towards the waiting area. I felt nervous, but I suddenly felt the urge to play a mobile game while waiting for my name to be called. I placed my phone on "do not disturb" mode so that no calls or messages popped up to ruin my game.

I thought I would enjoy the game peacefully...

But d*mn!

"A marksman support?! F*ck! Are you kidding me?!" I blurted out loud despite trying my hardest to keep calm.

My voice echoed in the waiting area and I felt embarrassed upon realizing the gazes and faint shaking of the heads of the people surrounding me—specially the older women in the waiting area. I felt confused observing their reactions and how they murmur to one another with discontent.

What did I do wrong? Is it because I accidentally blurted out while playing a game?

I turned off my phone in awkwardness and confusion while fidgeting with it in nervousness that I was trying to push away.

"Mr. Elrod... Please go inside, your wife and Dr. Luke are waiting for you," the nurse called.

I hurriedly ran inside while thanking the nurse, feeling relieved from the awkwardness.

"Good morning! Wow! I thought the nurses were just blabbering. He looked quite the catch. Where'd you find this handsome man, Laia?" she teased, grinning at Laia.

"We were classmates during grade school," Laia replied briefly in a low and embarrassed tone.

For some reason, she looked flushed since I entered the room, as if she just experienced something embarrassing. She was still lying on the observation bed while the doctor was holding a rod-like tool connected to a machine with a lot of buttons and a small black and white monitor.

"Oooh! A childhood sweetheart, eh? By the way, I'm Dr. Nina Santos. I'm a close friend of Laia. I heard you were recently married. Congratulations!" she greeted, smiling while nodding lightly once.

I smiled back at her briefly, nodding back once while thanking her in a low voice.

I was intently looking at the tool the doctor was holding. I don't want to think about something perverted, but I just kept feeling uneasy seeing that tool for some reason.

The doctor smirked and asked, "Would you like to hear your baby's heartbeat Mr. Aziel?"

Laia looked flustered and panicked upon hearing the doctor's words.

"Nina! No! Please..," she begged desperately.

I looked confused at her reaction. She looked traumatized for some reason, but I don't understand why? Does an ultrasound hurt? I have seen multiple shows regarding pregnant people having their ultrasound, but I don't understand how it would hurt. A small handheld tool would be placed on top of the belly while the doctor is checking the baby's condition.