Chapter 10: It's Yours if You Think It's Yours

I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride just a few hours after our wedding. We still haven't had a good conversation because of Laia's condition. I don't even know the extent of her condition because she refused to see a doctor.

"Try to take a nap. I'll wake you up when lunch is ready," I suggested after she finished drinking the soup prepared by the maids.

She nodded obediently and pushed the tray with the bowl towards me, so I took it away from her and placed it neatly on the table near the bed. Then, I helped her lay down on the bed properly before sitting back down beside her, stroking her hair to sleep.

I may not know much about taking care of sick people, but I know how to lull someone to sleep because I used to take care of Sienna when we were young and my parents were busy with their respective jobs. Laia kept her eyes shut, hugging my waist tightly in pain. I wanted to help her, but I don't know what to do. I don't even know what exactly was happening to her.

We were rivals in class during our grade school days. I could still vividly recall the thrill I felt every time the teachers announce the first and the second place on the exam every quarter. She became the valedictorian in the end and I was just a salutatorian, making me feel worthless in the eyes of my parents.

Even so, I can still see her pained look as she delivered her speech during our graduation. The same look I can see on her face while enduring the pain she's feeling right now. I didn't even understand then why she had that look on her face despite being the top student.

Looking back now, I realized I was wrong to judge her at that time, thinking she was mocking me because I fell behind her despite my efforts. I hated that look on her face for some reason. I also hated myself for always looking at her despite her indifference towards me most of the time.

I sighed, shaking my head, trying to push back my thoughts to focus on the current situation. I looked around the room, trying to remember where I placed my phone and saw it on the nightstand beside the bed. I tried my best not to pull away from Laia's arms while reaching for my phone.

I started checking the messages on my phone and saw that my phone was bombarded with messages from my mother, reminding me to come home tomorrow. "How can I even go home in this situation?" I whispered.

"Do you need to go home?" Laia asked in a low voice without even opening her eyes.

"Why aren't you taking a nap?" I nagged.

"Who can take a nap while a certain person beside her kept sighing like everything was crumbling beneath his feet," she complained as she sat down beside me, leaning against my shoulder.

"Sorry..," I mumbled while turning my phone off without even responding to the messages.

"Why didn't you reply to the messages? Is that your mom? The other messages seemed to be from your girlfriend. Aren't you going to read them?" she asked consecutively with a curious tone.

I was bewildered by her questions. "Do you even know what you are talking about?!" I asked back, looking at her intently, trying to contain my rage.

"Oh! Sorry... I didn't mean to look at your phone. It was facing on my side so I couldn't help but look at it," she explained.

"That's not the point, Laia! I intentionally let you see it. How could you assume she's my girlfriend without even asking first who she is?!" I blurted in rage. "Hah! Never mind... Can we talk about our situation first?"

"Oh, right... I have a schedule with my OB tomorrow. You don't need to go with me, but we can pretend that you are, so that you can go home in the meantime," she suggested.