Chapter 11: The Friend Doctor

Am I ready for this new chapter of my life? I still don't know if I am ready and I didn't plan to marry in the first place. My wife is pregnant and I wasn't even sure if the child was mine. Even though there's a high chance that the baby is mine, I still couldn't shake my doubt because of how she answered me vaguely.

I was sure I was her first, that's why I felt a bit relieved when I learned that the daughter that Mr. Dominique was talking about was Laia and not another girl. Even though I have my regrets, I need to be responsible for the consequences of my actions. I need to be a man, at least for Laia and the baby.

As planned, I accompanied Laia on her checkup.

"I'll drive the car. We don't need a chauffeur," I said.

"You know how to drive?" Laia asked, raising one of her eyebrows.

"Of course, I can! I have a license! I also use the company car every time we need to do a site visit for some projects," I explained.

"Then why didn't you have a car?" she asked.

"I... It's because I don't want to waste money on unnecessary stuff. I don't need a car because my apartment is just a few blocks away from our office," I explained.

"Okay," she replied and tried to sit on the passenger seat at the back.

"Why are you going to sit there?!" I asked as I pulled her near.

"Why?" she asked in confusion.

"Why?! Am I your chauffeur?! For heaven's sake! Sit on the front seat!" I demanded, feeling offended by her action.

I opened the front door for her and she quietly obeyed me without retaliating. She was quiet the whole ride so I turned on the radio to kill the awkward mood until we arrived at the hospital.

I don't know what to do, her silence is driving me insane. The hospital is just a few blocks away from my apartment and the company I was working at. I was dreading to see anyone I know around the area. It's not that I'm embarrassed about Laia's average look due to her fashion sense—despite how she looks, all her stuff are of the expensive brands that even I couldn't afford with a week worth of my salary. I just don't want to meet anyone yet because I don't know how to explain our relationship. We are technically married just because she's pregnant and her father forced us to get married.

"Why are you wearing your glasses again? You looked good on your contacts yesterday," I asked as I helped her step down from the car while holding her hand gently.

"Really? All the more I needed to wear my glasses," she smirked as she walked past me, shaking away my hand.

I held her hand tightly and realized there was something missing on her finger. "Where's your ring? Why aren't you wearing your ring?" I asked.

She looked baffled with her furrowed brows. "In my purse. Why? Do you want to tell everyone about our marriage? We might run into someone you knew," she explained.

She has a point, but for some reason, I felt like she's been stepping on my pride since the day we met again.

"Wear it," I demanded as I reached for the purse in her hand.

"No! My friend is a doctor at this hospital. I don't know how to explain our situation. Please... Not now," she begged in a weak tone as she turned pale once again while pulling her purse back.

I was petrified and worried seeing her

"Just for today," I reluctantly agreed.

She nodded while slightly leaning her weight on my hand.