Chapter 19: Siege of Bloodstone (Part 2)

En başından başla

"What do you propose, my son?" Corlys asked.

"We'll need an offering of flesh to bait the crab. Draw him out into the open. Once he and his men are lured to these locations, that will give us our opening to strike. But to ensure its success, someone will have to undergo such a highly dangerous task by themselves before the signal could be given, otherwise, Aeonar's men won't know when to charge."

"Dragon returning!" Joffrey called out.

"*Reeeeerh!*"

Caraxes flew overhead, circling the main camp before landing on a nearby cliff.

"Yes. Who?" Vaemond agreed. "Which man will happily go to his death? Show me the knight who will march into that hell pit, nephew, and I will show you a madman."

"Daemon should go," Laenor said.

"Him?! Daemon is why so many of our men are dead!"

"He is at least fighting on the frontlines in this war, uncle. What role have you played in our council, uncle, other than Master of Complaints?"

"Enough, both of you," Corlys interjected sternly.

"If King's Landing will not support us, why should we support them?!" Vaemond yelled.

Grabbing his younger brother by the arm, the Sea Snake drew him closer. "Blood or no, Vaemond," he warned, "I will not have you stoke mutiny and jeopardize our operations here."

"If you do not seize control of this war, my lord, the crabs will soon dine on all of us."

Daemon, having strolled down to the main camp, pulled off his gloves and removed his helmet. "Preparations have been made." He informed the war council. The Rogue Prince turned to see the soldiers eyeing him. Most of his men are present, but some of his nephew's spies were as well. "Now, if you're done with your... little quarrel, I believe you have a plan in store for us."

"Yes, my prince," Joffrey nodded.

"We want you to use yourself as bait to draw Craghas Drahar into the opening," Corlys told him. "Make him believe he has won, and we can capitalize on his arrogance to turn the tide in our favor."

"One last gambit, one bold strategy," Daemon realized. "So essentially you want me to hog all the fame and glory yet again? I take it that means my nephew will not be joining us?"

"His role depends on your participation in this plan, Prince Daemon," Laenor explained. "Out of anyone present in this war council, there is none who could match your ferocity and unpredictable nature in battle. The Crabfeeder and his men won't be expecting such feigned deception if you use them to your advantage."

"And if the odds aren't in my favor?"

"Then we will have to send everything we have and hope for the best," Corlys replied bluntly. "Now... are you in, or not?"

Daemon surveyed the soldiers once more. Many were tired, and some looked at him with contempt, but he could see the look in their eyes. They wanted to end the war and go home, but if the Rogue Prince were to abandon them now, then the war effort would fail. Daemon hated losing. His reputation would be ruined. And he hated being bailed whenever he got in trouble. No, he would not fail. He would emerge victorious. And he will not be looked down upon again. "Get me a boat," he said.

Stepstones ― Bloodstone...

Ditching pieces of armor that could slow him down – gauntlets, pauldrons, vambrace, cuisse, and greaves – Daemon took a small rowboat to travel from the main camp to Bloodstone. Armed with only Dark Sister and a small dagger, the Rogue Prince was placing himself in dire jeopardy by coming here alone. Upon landfall, Daemon observed the scattered remains of Velaryon soldiers, wet banners, and the stench of rotten, decaying corpses of the Crabfeeder's victims who were nailed to wooden crosses during low tide filling the air.