Chapter 33

Harsh pounding on the door, yet chatter distinctly filled the dense air. It felt like the moments passed for far too long. The door creaked open slowly and uneasy glances were passed briefly.

"You sure about this," They asked each other as wary glances passed between them, "Are you sure you want to come along?" Amaia nodded firmly and unlike the so far pathetic detective unit she strides into the small house with gloved clenched fists. "Do you really think this house belonged to her?" One whispered as the floorboards creaked heavily against their scuffed boots. Amaia scrunched up her nose and held back a well-deserved scoff. "I do not know man..." The floorboards only continued to creak. Amaia paused and her gaze shifted to a photograph on a small dresser. The rest of them looked at other things or brushed past Amaia. She clenched the dusty family photo and wiped the dust with her fingers so effortlessly. Two women who looked similar along with two young girls who looked like a copy of the other gave away no particular warnings. It seemed like a perfect photo except if you exclude the fact that one young girl was smiling and the other seemed like she was forced to be in the photo.

"This place gives me the creeps for some reason." "I heard old tales about this home, and I heard some of the city folk talking about it." "Really, what did they sa-" "Are you not supposed to be solving a case or something," Amaia snapped, instantly drawing the attention of everyone in the room with her commanding tone, "I do not care about anything else other than bringing justice to Andrew! Focus on what you all have been hired to do." They all seemingly glanced down at the same time. Maybe it was shame that now filled their minds. Amaia huffed peevishly.

"Wow, you really put on quite the show." Clapping followed suit and Amaia's face only fell instantly. Chills went through her body and the photograph she was holding dropped out of her hands without a second thought. It shattered on impact and the photo tore a bit almost instantly. "Madam president..." One of the detectives whimpered, gun drawn and aimed. "Oh please you have no need for weapons here," She said softly through a crooked smile. "What do you want from me," Amaia growled as a heavy weight settled on her tense shoulder. "I have no business with you anymore." "Aw man just when I thought we were friends." "Genesis," Amaia said firmly, "Leave right now."

Genesis' gaze softened and she removed her hand. "I could, but where is the fun in that?" The clanging of weapons fell to the floor roughly and gunfire sparked. "What the-" Amaia was startled and jumped. Genesis cupped Amaia's mouth with her hands. "You know thank you for showing me around my nieces house," Genesis leaned in uncomfortably close, "You know I really should pay her a visit soon too." Amaia breathed heavily and gripped Genesis' firm hand. "What are you going to do?" Amaia glanced left and right rather anxiously as she struggled to remove Genesis' firm grip. "You have no support, and you have no such pathetic team anymore. You are here just with me now." Genesis smiled and stared right into Amaia's glimmering eyes. "You are not so tough anymore cupcake," She laughed heartily, "The drastic change... that is what I like to see," Her forest-colored eyes seemed to glow brighter than the moon itself now and she chuckled. Amaia gasped and she pondered quickly. Now Amaia knew with full certainty, the truth, the one thing she had been searching for all this time. Genesis' gaze was cold and flat with no emotion despite her devious chirpy tone. Amaia's breathing nearly stopped and she felt like her heart was pounding deeply in her throat. Her muscles seemed to constrict, and her gaze slowly widened while her pupils only dilated. Amaia knew that she was truly the mastermind behind it all now, "What are you going to do oh madam president?" It all made sense now. "What now?" Genesis asked again rather mockingly as her grip around Amaia's mouth only tightened gradually, "It seems like I am in control now Amaia."

With all her might Amaia threw her fist sloppily at Genesis' cocky face and Genesis only grabbed her fist. She smiled cheerfully and winked, "It is truly over for you madam president," Her smile faltered as soon as it had appeared, "Mark my words."