Chapter 30

“Sylvia I am sorry,” Nathan began as he adjusted his thick rimmed glasses before embracing her gently, “I really am.” Sylvia glanced up at him and his face morphed as he broke down, “I am so sorry.” His expression was grim and hollow as he adjusted his cracked glasses. It sent chills down her spine to see him this way. Sylvia tried to move, but Nathan’s grip tightened around her small body. “I am sorry." Sylvia's vision blurred before the darkness came over her. "Syl."

Sylvia's eyes fluttered open and her heart pounded against her chest. An empty pit in Sylvia's stomach formed and she curled up into a small ball. Her blank gaze was locked on the wall in front of her before she took a deep shaky breath. "Damn it," She said faintly as she sat up slowly.
Her siblings' words echoed in her mind and the knots in her stomach gradually tightened. Do you not at least want to know where your friends are?

“Madam president.”
“Yes detective?”

“Can you come here for a second please?”

“Yes, of course.”

Amaia followed the detective into his office. The detective glanced at Amaia for a moment before rummaging through a file cabinet. “Thank you for coming in.” “Not like I had much of a choice Dan,” Amaia responded rather lightheartedly as she heaved her arms over her chest. “Ha I suppose that is true," The detective paused, "Though what happened is rather… peculiar,” Dan said firmly as he put a large file on his desk. “Go ahead and look through it madam president.”

She opened the file and her gaze immediately scanned the documents laying before her. “Most of this is evidence collected from our forensics department,” The detective said earnestly, “Beautiful right?” Amaia nodded as she flipped through the detailed pages of ballistics. “Madam president, the forensics specialist team was able to gather samples of mixed blood on the scene and process it.”
“Go on detective.”

“They found Andrew’s blood of course, but also a young woman's. I have a feeling something more happened that day. However, paired with the evidence from ballistics, the shell casings on the ground and much more,” Amaia’s brow rose and her gaze snapped to the detectives. “They have reason to believe that this girl may be a possible suspect.”

“Really?” “It appears so madam president.” Amaia froze and stopped flipping through the file. “Are you sure?” Amaia asked hesitantly as her gaze faltered from the file. “I am very confident in our professionals here, so yes madam president.” Amaia heaved her arms over her chest and shifted from toe to toe uneasily. “We have some suspicions,” Dan said before pausing, “Do you think someone you may know is out to hurt you? Someone you may have gone against in the election?" The detective's gaze was locked on Amaia. "These attacks seem to be premeditated Amaia and we have reason to believe this is no coincidence.”

Amaia grew stiff as she looked away from the detective uneasily. A heavy weight burdened her shoulders. "I would not be surprised," Amaia admitted as she began rubbing her arm, "A lot has been going on ever since I got into office." The detective put his hand on Amaia's shoulder, "I know… I can not even imagine what it is like to be going through something like this." Amaia nodded slowly. "Currently my department thinks that the women you were head to head with in the elec-"

"Excuse me detective," Amaia said earnestly before making her way out of the room, "Give me a few minutes."
Amaia closed the office door behind her quickly and she felt a lump rise in her throat. "No way," She mumbled underneath her breath as she shook her head hesitantly, "Would she really do something like that?" Amaia began to breathe heavily. She already knew where the detective was going as soon as she heard the word election.

Amaia gagged briefly and sighed slowly. The pressure and stress of everything she was dealing with began to burden her thoughts. Everything started changing for the worse since she got into office. Her heart raced against her chest. She knew it was no coincidence. Her breaths were shaky and she buried her face in the palms of her hands. Her mind raced with so many different conclusions. Even though she knew Genesis was too calm that day, would she really go this far?

"What am I going to do?" She questioned shakily before huffing, "Everything is so off and overwhelming."

Nathan huffed before putting Amy down. “I have had enough of this,” He mumbled before adjusting his glasses, “Did you notice anything that could possibly get us out of here Amy?” She glanced up at him and barely nodded. Nathan kneeled and huffed. He felt like he had been wandering around aimlessly for so long. Nathan gazed at her expectantly. "Amy is so very special," Jasper's haunting voice bounced off the hallways.

She took a deep breath and shakily handed him a small piece of metal shaped similarly to a pen. “What is this?” He said in a hushed voice as he took it from her. The lights flickered and the building rumbled.

Quickly Nathan grabbed Amy’s shoulder, “What is this Amy,” He said impatiently now. “Press… it,” She muttered fiercely, "It is our last resort." Nathan pressed down on the cap of the metal and an explosion rang out somewhere nearby. Nathan covered his ears and so did Amy. The sudden explosion caught him off guard. The lights flickered on and off again. “Press it again,” Amy said blaringly as she cupped her ears. Nathan immediately pressed it and another explosion rang out. The building shook and Nathan’s grasp on Amy tightened.

“You will not get away with this!” Jasper bellowed, "I will find you!" “Come on,” Nathan said hastily as he attempted to pick Amy back up. “No..!” Amy said disorentiantly, “Stay.. and keep.. pressing it!” Nathan clicked it repetitively and the building shook even harder, nearly knocking Nathan to the ground. The room seemed to enclose them and Amy gazed blankly at Nathan, "Trust me."

"What the hell do you think you are doing," Jasper screeched as he busted down the door to the room they had been hiding in.

Jasper's expression gradually softened as he saw Nathan and Nathan froze upon seeing Jasper's warm smile. He felt something tug his chest. "Wait," Jasper said nonchalantly as he put his hand to his head and fell to his knees, "What is going on.." "No..," Nathan said hesitantly as he reached his hand out to Jasper slowly. He could not tear his gaze away from Jasper, "Stay with me Jas..." Amy glanced at Nathan uneasily.

"What… happened to you?" Nathan muttered faintly, "My friend.." "Nathan," Amy said urgently as she watched Jasper's expression morph into bitterness. Memories of Jasper dancing and being the optimistic one in the group flooded Nathan's mind instantly.

Amy quickly pushed Nathan as Jasper charged towards Nathan aggressively. As Amy pushed Nathan to the ground she managed to press the metal shaped pen again before she collapsed to the ground with him. "You will not leave this place," Jasper said fiercely before adding more emphasis, "No one gets to leave this place!" Amy grasped Nathan tightly before everyone's world turned dark.

--
Any thoughts on this chapter?

I'm actually way past my original plot for this book since the story has a lot of different potential which to me is very exciting. Personally, this chapter to me is very exciting. Let me know your thoughts on the story so far. :)