Chapter 12

"Cheers!" Amy and Nathan said at the same time before clinking their pint glasses together rather joyously. A smile curled upon Amy's lips as she punched Nathan's shoulder lightly. Nathan chuckled delightfully as he sipped his strong pale ale while shaking his head amusedly. The blaring music rang in Nathan and Amy's ears as others danced ludicrously on the bright dancefloor.

The jingle of the door opening caught the attention of some staff members and citizens alike. "Good evening ma'am, what could I get for you today?" A young man said aloofly. "A glass of strawberry margarita please." Amy turned around with a lopsided grin plastered on her face. "Hey Syl," Amy said homely, her words slightly slurred as her smile reached the heights of the sun. "Hey Amy," Sylvia said with a slight wave. "Hey Sylvia, what brings you here?" Nathan said curiously as Sylvia sat down on the bar stool. "Yeah, you do not normally come," Amy said before taking a sip of her strong drink.

"I know I know," Sylvia said gently as the staff gave her her liquor, "Look ya now that new runner Genesis." Nathan nodded sternly before gulping down his drink expeditiously. "Oh her again," Amy said exasperatedly while rolling her eyes, "Something is obviously off with her." Nathan glanced at Amy warmly, patting her shoulder and said faintly, "I can not say that I agree. I have not had the time to really listen to the new runner. I really like Dalia and Damian though," Nathan paused briefly and his gaze flickered to Sylvia, "Now, they are both really good." Sylvia nodded as she drank her margarita steadily. The building buzzed with chatter, jolly drunk folks, and with football blaring on the tv screens.

"Genesis is not who you think she is," Sylvia said earnestly while gesturing to Amy and Nathan. Amy had her arms heaved over her chest and Nathan had his hands against the large bar table in front of them as the bartender moved about effortlessly. "Where are you going with this?" Amy said casually while she leaned back leisurely against her bar stool. "We have to stop her somehow...," Sylvia trailed off faintly as she sipped her strong drink briefly, "Like I was telling you before at one point Amy, I know her plans. If she wins this election we are going to have an even bigger issue than we do now. We will have our towns just like yours Amy." Nathan pondered deeply, his hand tapping his chin as he gazed at his drink with a now blank stare. "Ok that is bad... but," Amy took a moment to gather her thoughts and shifted towards Sylvia, "What do you want us to do about it?" "Yeah," Nathan said distantly, barely shifting towards his friend. "Help me spread awareness of her true intentions. I already convinced a small number of people so... others have their suspicions about her too." Nathan adjusted his thick-rimmed glasses hesitantly and he raised his brow, "Heh, guess you are not wrong bout' that eh," Nathan said fancily as he nudged Amy cheerfully. Amy giggled lightheartedly, "Guys this is serious," Sylvia said earnestly - no grin or laugh coming from her. "Alright alright I will help ya," Amy said sternly, her laughter faltering. Nathan nodded as he glanced at his ebony watch, "Same here Syl. Whatever you decide to do I am in as well do not worry." "Thank you guys," Sylvia muttered before taking a sip of her margarita. "Keep track of this guy for me will ya Nate," Sylvia said, handing Nathan a small card. "Sure thing," Nathan said distantly, as his gaze turned back to his pint glass. Amy stood up to her feet slowly and wobbly made her way to the dancefloor while swaying side to side. "That information is important. His name is Jasper and he is willing to help us."

Sylvia's phone began to buzz in her pocket. "Excuse me Nate," Sylvia said politely before making her way outside quickly. "Hello?" Sylvia inquired as she raised her phone to her ear. "Hey Syl." Sylvia furrowed her brows and tapped her foot against the ground impatiently. "Look, Genesis just offered me something." "Why do you always talk about her?" Sylvia grumbled under her breath. "What?" "Nothing, just get on with it," Sylvia said grumpily.

"Well, since I plan to help Genesis she offered me power," Sylvie said quickly, "It is so awesome. All the things she showed me! She really wants to offer you the same thing as me Syl-" "If you do not shut up Sylvie," Sylvia said while rubbing her temple and clenching her fists, "For the love of God, I want absolutely nothing to do with Genesis. I am sick of hearing about her for crying out loud...," She trailed off and gazed at the floor before huffing faintly. "Why will you not join me? I did so much for you... I was always there for you," Sylvia said as her eyes began to well up. A sting of betrayal weighed her tone down, "You are letting her divide us willingly..." Sylvia's lips began to quiver and she ran her fingers through her now medium length hair. "You are betraying your family though. I saw the photos and you are fighting against us," Sylvie said curtly. "Ugh," Sylvia huffed peevishly while pinching the bridge of her nose. "Do you even care about me anymore? Do you even view me as family anymore? You have changed so much," She said with sorrow deeply laced in her tone. "Are you... ok?" Sylvie said softly, noticing the unusual waver in her siblings' voice. Sylvia clenched her trembling fists and she resentfully glared at the ground.

The phone call ended abruptly and Sylvia grit her teeth momentarily before stuffing her phone into her pocket. She rushed back into the bar and sat back down on her stool while her heart pounded against her chest quickly. Nathan raised his brow, "You good?" He asked, tilting his head to the side as Sylvia's phone rang. She nodded swiftly and breathed, "I am fine." She ordered several drinks and as she gulped down drink after drink Nathan occasionally would tell her to take it easy. "I came here for a reason," She slurred indignantly as her phone rang again, "Do not tell me what to do." She took drink after drink recklessly and the bartender hastily served her. After a couple of drinks, Sylvia went off to the dance floor and Amy glanced briefly in her direction, a smile smiling finding its way onto her face. Amy walked over to Sylvia and said calmly, "Oh man you are definitely out of it for sure." As she danced rather woozly Amy could not help, but shake her head and chuckle amusedly as she danced alongside her friend. "Amy why ya l..l..laughing," Sylvia slurred while swaying side to side.

"Damn, can you shut the hell up," A man wearing a leather jacket said who was standing next to Sylvia. Amy glared at the guy for a moment before nonchalantly smiling as Sylvia grabbed her hands as the song gradually picked up tempo and changed. "Man you guys do not even dance right." The guy commented cheekily as he shoved Sylvia unexpectedly making her stumble. Without warning, a fist collided with the guy's cheek and Sylvia shoved the man to the ground aggressively. Sylvia caught others' attention. "You are looking for a fight I bet," The guy snarled while wiping his bleeding nose as Sylvia gazed at him with rage twinkling in her azure eyes as she kicked him furiously in the stomach. The man groaned, "Lookin' for trouble kid," He said in between gasps of breath. "No, she is not," Amy said sternly, stepping in between the two while briefly glaring at Sylvia and then at the brunette. "Back off," Amy said earnestly as Nathan clutched Sylvia hastily, preventing her from acting out violently again even though she tried her best to get free of her friend's strong grasp. "She is not sober, so leave it be damn it." Amy said fiercely. "Does it look like I give a damn short stick-" "Oh do not short stick me you di-"

"No fighting inside!" A staff member said while putting their hands on their hips silencing the ongoing fight. "Get yourselves out of my store before I file a report on you all." With a heavy groan, the guy spat on the floor, "Oh sure let her get away with whatever." "Beat it you started the whole thing to begin with," The bartender said irritatedly as he wiped down the tables swiftly.

"Come on Amy," Nathan said as he held Sylvia in his arms tightly while others stared at them appallingly. Amy glared at the brunette before walking out of the bar with her friends right besides her. As they left the store Nathan huffed faintly and watched sternly as the brunette scurried away from them while muttering under his breath. "You alright," Amy said softly as she adjusted her ebony beanie and shuddered as a cool gust of wind went by. "Not me you should be worried about," Nathan said earnestly as he gazed at Sylvia who was resting in his arms. "She is not acting like her usual self." "I could not tell at all," Amy said exasperatedly as she tapped her foot against the ground and observed the street lights as they flickered on. "Look I am serious, something must have happened earlier. She went outside to take a phone call and then when she came back she was quieter than usual and started drinking an awful lot." Amy rubbed the back of her neck, "Yeah... I thought her being drunk was odd."

Amy crossed her arms over her chest, "So what now?" Nathan glanced at Amy briefly before gazing at the ground. "I do not know," His gaze met Amy's, "I really... I," He paused, "Just hope she gets better. I am sure she is stressed out." Amy nodded slowly, "Of course she is. This whole Genesis thing is driving her down a bad place. I mean as soon as she was discharged, she... like hyper focused on her," Amy said while shaking her head slowly and placing her hands on her hips, "It is really unhealthy." Amy dusted off her long coat as the icy breeze went by. "I hate seeing her this way, but if I were in her shoes I would be acting the same," He said as he adjusted his thick glasses and rubbed his chin, "With what she just did even if she was not sober... The amount of anger she must have had to be so aggressive in the first place is pretty concerning." "Indeed it is worrisome Nate," Amy trailed off before gazing into Nathan's eyes, " You and me both though... buddy. I hate seeing her this way too."