37: Whispers

Hello and happy 2023!!

We have officially reached chapter 37!!

I thought the book would be long, but I didn't realize it'd come this far.

It's fun to look back on the dot points I had written down for different events, and seeing where I changed things. Like, Alden's mind break was supposed to be a huge event, but I just breezed through it in two chapters

I think I might go back and change that at some point.

It kinda feels a bit too rushed.

Anyway, have fun reading.

"Soph, are you sure you're alright?" Fitz asked.

Sophie nodded. "I'm fine."

The Telepath raised an eyebrow, but didn't say anything other than, "We miss you at Foxfire."

"How're classes going?"

It had been three days since the battle for Atlantis. Ruy had carried Sophie back to Havenfield, and she'd only come back to consciousness this morning. She was more than ready to get back on her feet—but Elwin had forbidden her from setting so much as one foot out of bed.

Her bodyguard, Sandor, had taken to standing by the door and watching her intently, making sure he was able to grab her if she ever went against Elwin's ruling.

Edaline had begun spoon-feeding her. Which was super annoying.

Grady didn't participate in their evil scheming—but he didn't help her, either, so he was just as guilty.

Her only break from boredom today had been watching old human movies—like Perry Mason, Star Trek, and some Home Alone.

According to Ruy, who'd given her a report on the battle, the Elys army that had been dispatched to Atlantis was exterminated—except for about five soldiers, who managed to escape into the underwater city and barricade themselves inside the forcefield. Jevro and Eria were among them, which was part of the reason no one had taken pursuit.

The goblins had allowed them to leave without a fuss, and also managed to organize a Phoenix-Council peace talk.

Which Sophie wasn't too thrilled about, but it would be beneficial to have the Council's support. She could get rid of them after the war.

Unless they became a nuisance during it, in which case she wouldn't hesitate to do some stabbing.

Sooner or later, Councillor Emery was going to die.

The thought was certainly a nice thought.

After their defeat, the Elys had gone radio-silent, and the war was at another standstill. Sophie suspected it would be at least a week before anyone moved again, and she would not miss that gap. One week was enough to begin preparations to strike back.

"And Keefe's pranks have only been getting worse," Fitz concluded. "Although I'd say he lacks his usual flair. I hope Elwin lets you out soon."

Sophie grinned. "Don't worry. I'll be back before you know it."

I'm actually a lot more stressed than you are about Elwin!

YOU CAN JUST KILL HIM.

Yes, I can. But that's not a good idea.

YOU'RE GOING SOFT.

I'm going to find a way to get you out of my head, I swear it.

YOU'RE SAID THAT A TOTAL OF ONE HUNDRED FIFTY EIGHT TIMES IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE OF THIRTEEN YEARS.