GREATER {3}

Patients, sick and dying, were only separated by curtains. Some didn't even have beds and were just lying on a blanket. The smell of unhealed wounds wafted around the room. Philip heard someone screaming, groaning, and a cart of medicine being pushed. It was too late when he looked behind him and the cart passed through him, including the nurse pushing it.

"They can't see or touch you," Mike explained.

"So, am I dead?"

"As I've said, we're in between."

They trudged on to the next room; this time Philip led the way. He's been here before.

"About this thing on my neck, what's the deal with it?"

"It goes way back," Mike answered, "Maybe it's rooted from our parent's favoritism. Mostly, our hate from each other. But when we were kids, we only got each other, didn't we? As the town mayor, Dad was always at work. Every time you get sick, I put towels on your forehead.

"Why bring this up now?"

"Maybe it started there or long before we were born when our mother gave birth to us.

"I told you we're cursed," Philip rotated his head to hear a crack again.

"If you keep turning your head, it will one day lock and you'll turn into a pig who can never look up in the sky."

"You said that before.... when we were making those bracelets." They arrived in a room where mostly children were admitted. "You think it has something to do with our situation now?"

"Yes, and I think that's where we should start. But first, go check your wife and daughter."

"Emily," Philip let out a sigh of relief. He approached her but he remembered she couldn't see or touch him. She has a round face and a sad yet warm smile. Her eyes looked as though they were seeing from beyond. The beauty from when she was young was still present and one could say she is a very strong woman. She was feeding porridge to their daughter, Jane, who's only skin and bones. It wasn't a normal sickness. There was a dark aura surrounding her.

"No, not my daughter," Philip said when he saw it.

"This might be the last time you'd see them," Mike said, "But we gotta hurry."

Philip kissed his wife, she reacted, and turned around, but she still couldn't see him.

They arrived at an old white house, a small villa, with an empty patio and unkempt grass.

"We were outside the yard," Mike started, "I just found those beads and strings in our attic."

They went inside, and as they did so, Philip recollected his own past. Philip avoided ordering someone, he tried to do everything on his own, he didn't ask questions too, he only finds the answers for himself. Unlike his brother, who he thinks, thinks everything is served on a silver platter. "When I get selfish, you'd be generous."

In the part that they always have something in common, their choices would be opposite. Even as trivial as if they've been given a drink. Mike likes milk while Philip likes chocolate. Their feelings, how they start the day, and their appearance. Of course, the only one who noticed these differences at first was Philip.

While Mike continued his own story, "When we turned thirteen Father was elected as the town's Mayor."

"You were a rising star football player," Philip said, "Until you got sick."

Some say Mike's life was perfect. One can say that many were jealous of him. But the most jealous of him was his brother.

"Until I got sick," Mike repeated, "Then you took the spotlight."

"Football wasn't really for me."

"You eventually got on your feet and took it from me."

Both of them came inside their room. Philip gulped a handful of saliva when they saw their room was full of dark residue. Mike closed the door and continued exploring."

"I hated how you can sleep instantly while I lie awake all night. When we went to the beach, you're comfortable with showing your skin."

"When I sleep well, you wake up badly, and vice versa. I know, I know. Were opposite."

"You told me I was crazy but look at us now."

"You hated me first," Mike said, "You didn't even want to be in the same room as me."

They both have the same maid, but they treat her differently. Philip pitied their housemaid, who was about the same age as them at that time.

"Because you were unkind to Emily," Philip muttered, and for once he was actually the same teenager as when they were younger.

"Then I grew up."

"No, you didn't you were still immature. Is that what you believed when you ran away with our maid?"

"I fell in love."

"Whatever you say."

"Dad never approved of it, that's why he didn't give you the inheritance."

In simpler terms, when Mike brought home a woman with prestige, Philip ran away with their maid.

Exasperated, Philip went to the living room and was surprised when the TV was on. No one was watching but someone turned it on.