The Chirping Crickets

I am planted onto my bed, lying in the middle, ready to be unconscious. The world is now quiet and my eyes are already shut, however, I can still see the bulb of light shining on the ceiling. I do not need a blanket or a mechanical cooler. Because the waves of the summer heat complement the wind blows of a cloudy night. "Maybe a thunderstorm is coming," said I. It's a normal thing to have storms in summer when you're in the tropical region of the globe.

My preparations were completed before the clock struck at nine. There's a blanket beside me in case I get cold. I place a glass of water above my table in case I get thirsty in the middle of the night. All that's left is to fall into my slumber. But insanely driving forces of coincidences repel me from obtaining what I want.

First of all, my right foot is still compulsively grooving to the last song I've heard on the radio. Thump, thump, thumping like a rabbit's foot. I slapped my thigh as if I were scolding it to stay still. It stops for a moment. But then, my fingers begin to move and tap the floor like signaling Morse code to the person next to my room.

I wrinkle my brow while pondering the cause. Is it because of the coffee I drank this morning? Or perhaps there's a lump under my bed that makes it uncomfortable. I eagerly search for it by wiping the sheet of my bed, although it feels like a newly mowed grass plain. It is beknownst to me that a long calvary awaits me if do not sleep as early as I can. And I am very well aware that one motion can cause me aggravation.

But still, I grunt and face sideward to put my left hand under my pillow and fold my legs at an obtuse angle.

I slouched my back against the wall to feel comfort as if I was guarded from behind. At this moment, I can almost taste a pint of drowsiness as I relax my body. Several minutes of silence until I wonder... Why am I still not asleep?

As slow as a sloth, I change my position to lengthen my legs. Only to find out that my arm is numb because I compressed it under my pillow.

Oh goodness, now I'm struggling to ease my dead limb that is thorned by countless needles. Such a tingling pain that pinches my blood with avidity. I let it rest without moving an inch to unstring the invisible threads that bind it.

With my eyes closed, the curves on my brow grow deeper as they appear again. The answer to my question has made me agitated once again. "It's the light!" I exclaim. Its brightness pierces through the lids of my eyes. There are times that I would let the lights on, but why is it exceedingly bright tonight?

I cover my face with a blanket, but my breath bounces back making my pores drastically sweat. I groan like a bear waking up from its hibernation. Then I get up with pure irritation and swiftly flick the lights off. My eyes are unlatched but I can see nothing. A bite of relief has offered my mind. After that, I instantly timber to my bed like a heavy log.

Unriveting seconds of blankness, just as I thought, still no luck of gaping the gates of dreaming.

Meditation might help but it did not. Instead of having a piece of silence, I start hearing the distinct chirps of the crickets outside. Apparently, they thrive in a season when the temperature is warm.

Having all the time in my hands, I try to listen and pinpoint where it's coming from like a bat using sound to locate its prey. But still, I am dumbfounded having to hear it everywhere.

It starts to get loud until it is unbearable to hear. The more you listen, the more it gets loud! I hum a lullaby to myself and cover my ears, desperately ignoring the sound of the pesky insects and narrowly apprehending my muffled voice.

Until such time that my throat became parched. Luckily, I've already prepared a solution for this very moment. I perch myself up while keeping my eyes closed to conserve the remaining drowsiness in my body.

I need not bother to open the lights for I know exactly where it is. Swiftly, I drank the water while the glass almost slipped through my hands. I drink it with one gulp and stamp the glass on the table like a proud drunkard.

The volume of the sound is even louder once I settle on my bed again. I ask myself, "Are the neighbors hearing it too?" The chirps of those annoying crickets! As if the drums inside my ears are producing those noises. Breathe! Suddenly, I cannot. My body was paralyzed and it felt like it was being crushed to pieces. As if a knot in my chest has tangled my windpipes restricting them to inhale while a massive hiccup is going to come out.

I pray to the heavens as I grasp for air. Hark! I ask for your glory to relieve me from this distress. A tumultuous exhale escapes my mouth. All of a sudden, it feels like I am only half asleep and I just woke up from a crazy nightmare.

My body reacts to the water I drank after that and I have to urinate in the bathroom. I carelessly stand up; my suffering is put to waste. My stomach gives a grumble although I am not hungry, so I return to my dark room, caressing my belly, as I lay on my bed once again.

I now know that it is impossible for me to sleep after several attempts. I open my eyes and leisurely observe the colorless interior of my room. I can barely see the figures of the wooden furniture as if they're just pasted to the wall.

Minutes of staring till my eyes have adjusted to the dark. I consecutively avert my vision to the old rustic wallpaper, to the piles of my unfinished paperwork, and the towers of books in the corner. I felt a bit of stress thinking about when I last clean my room.

Once again, I stand up to open the windows, hoping to let the moonlight enter my room. A slight breeze gently touches my face as it comes in. Then I look up and see the sky is still thickened by the clouds.

I sit at the top of my table by the window and lean my head on its pane. It is quite surprising that it felt more comfortable to rest there than on my bed. I was closing my eyes but a graze of moonlight made it wide open.

The sky becomes partly clear and I think to myself, "I guess there's no storm coming after all." I notice that everything is quiet again. I can still hear the crickets but now it has turned into a whisper to my ear. I leave the window open as I finally yawn and lay on my bed. I come to the conclusion that nothing disturbs me more than my own noisy complaints. I have also decided that I should start cleaning my room tomorrow.