The Dog's Howl and The Rooster's Crow

You want a story? Oh, why don't you say so, my little soldier? Let me tuck you in your bed then. Close your eyes and clear your mind. Here it goes:

The night is deep

And the stars shine bright

A boy who couldn't sleep

On his bed, he lies in fright

Not that one? You've already heard it? Sorry, sorry. Mmm, here's another one. This is based on a true story. Oh, you like that? You do? But I might have done some tweaking. I turn it into a fable. You do know what's a fable, right? Okay, okay.

In a not-so-far-away land, there lived a farmer and his wife. They have many children, many! All of which were very annoying, noisy, and problematic but there's the last-a quiet one named Sarge.

Yes, like yours, my brave, little soldier.

But I'll tell you more about the farmer's... pets - yes, pets, than the quiet boy - because he's still a little baby in this story and also this is a fable, so it has to have animals as characters, no?

The farmer had a dog and a rooster who wanted to prove he's better than the other. The rooster started the day by waking up earlier than anyone. He crowed, "cock-a-doodle-doo" by sunrise, in the middle of the day, and before sundown. He's also in charge of the chickens if they lay eggs or wander off.

Then there's the dog who thinks he's better than anyone. He boasted his majestic howl, roo-woo-woow-woow. Nonetheless, he kept the farm safe as he guarded it from pesky creatures. He's up and awake most of the day so the farmer can work in peace.

If the rooster crowed in the morning and awoke its master. The farmer would say, "Good rooster."

If the dog barked at someone trespassing on their land, whether it'd be wild animals or their neighbor. The farmer would say, "Good dog."

As a result, they became obsessed with their owner's compliments but couldn't accept he's complimenting the other. This sparked a rivalry between them.

Little did they know, there was a wolf in their neighborhood who was so sick and tired of all their noises. A bit of a background, this wolf really likes soldiers, he always wanted to be one. All he wanted was peace because soldiers protect peace. So he planned to take down the dog and the rooster.

It was when the dog wanted to compete with the rooster on who's the loudest that really set the wolf off.

"I challenge you to a contest," the dog says to the rooster. "I bet even if you get help from your chickens, you won't even stand a chance against my howl."

The rooster was taken aback and said, "You may be bigger and faster, but I won't let you tarnish my reputation. It is I that commands the chickens and you never know how hard it is to take care of the chickens."

"And you never know how hard it is to guard the farm," retorted the dog, "So are you going to accept my challenge or not?"

"I accept!" the rooster declared.

The rules were simple. Who could keep up the longest noise proves they have the hardest task and deserves more praise from the farmer. The other animals heard the news, the cows, the goats, the sheep, and also the wolf who was holding himself back so hard to eat them all.

The contest started early in the day. The rooster's cock-a-doodle-doo didn't last but before he ran out of breath the chicken would take his place by clucking and then the next and the next.

The dog's howl was non-stop, I give you that, roo-woo-woow-woow!

It went on for weeks! But in the end, the dog was beaten by their numbers. The chickens harmonized not simultaneously, which the dog expected, but one by one.

Those raucous pests...sorry pets, they were warned. The wolf kept telling them if they didn't keep quiet his going to get crazy rabid. But they didn't listen to him. The dog continued to howl until he lost his voice. He surrendered to the roosters and the chickens but they too were exhausted so they didn't have the energy to celebrate. But it's too late, it's too late.

What do you think is more important to a farmer? The rooster's crow that woke the farmers up or the bark of the dog that guarded them?

I think it's the dog, right? Because when the wolf came, no one could warn their master. They were infiltrated. No one, couldn't bark, couldn't crow, couldn't cluck. They're too tired.

The dog begged the chickens and they waited for the command of the rooster who couldn't make a noise. Serves them right! But the rooster managed to say to the dog, "This is all your fault." One of the chickens stood to defend them but I told you it's too late. The wolf was already baring his fangs and drooling to eat them. The dog even whined, "Please don't eat us." But mercy was out of the question. One by one, they all got eaten... Even the farmer and his wife.

The End.

I think the moral of the story was, listen now, "You shouldn't do things when you're not supposed to." If they just stuck up on being quiet little pets and didn't get the attention of the wolf, none of it would've happened.

You still up Sarge? Buddy? Are you still listening? Oh, you're already asleep? So sad you don't get to know the real story. I don't intend to tell you anyway. Oh alright, since you're very sound and quiet, I'll tell you.

It was a farming competition you see, between brothers, and no one really won. HA! HA! They only got on the wolf's nerves. Those rascals were disturbing the whole neighborhood with their mischievous antics. So the wolf was actually the good guy!

Do you guess who's the rooster and - and who's the dog? It's the two older sons of the farmer. Also, if you might want to know, the chickens were their younger brother and sisters. And guess who's the wolf? I am. I am the wolf.

One night, just after the competition, the wolf cocked his gun and crawled to the farmer's backyard. He was rabid! He shot the rooster first, yes, then all his chickens. The loud dog pleaded with the wolf not to kill him! But the wolf said, "Leave no prisoners!"

It woke the farmer up, he'd better be, because that gun was the loudest. HA! HA! IT'S THE LOUDEST! Then the wolf went and barged into the farmer's house. You already know what happened. He killed the farmer and his wife...

except for the baby

except for the baby

YES! It was the noisiest night but the baby didn't cry nor make a single sound. The wolf thought it was dead but it moved. And he looked so peaceful and brave like a soldier that it stopped the wolf from killing him too. Instead, he took him and raised him. See, he's a good guy after all. I'm a good guy after all. Shh, shh, that's right. All I want for you is to be quiet, my brave, little soldier.