Fifty Seven

Reg POV

You were tired. Bone tired. Soul tired.

But something was insistent on waking you up.

You turned away from the hand rubbing your cheek, snuggling deeper into the chest you rested on.

A voice was talking to you from a distance, growing stronger the more you paid attention to it.

"...Olivia...... Wake up.... Darling please...Open your eyes." Demon spoke with growing urgency, his fingers running through your hair.

"Tired. Go away." You mumbled into his chest as you realized it was him.

Sleep began to overtake you once again.

"Olivia Rose!" He shook you.

"What?!" You screeched, opening your eyes to glare up into his red ones.

You immediately picked up on his worried expression, as his shoulders sagged in relief.

"Darling, you need to stay awake." His voice took on a pleading tone.

Another wave of fatigue hit you and you dropped your heavy head back down to his chest.

"Can't." You barely managed to whisper.

His hold in your hair went from a gentle stroke to a firm grip, making you wince. "I'm afraid it's not a choice I'm giving you little one. You will stay awake."

You tried to muster some anger at his treatment, but found you were unable to do much of anything.

When you once again tried to snuggle in, he lifted you off his lap and sat you down on the rocky shore of the lake.

Your fatigued body couldn't even keep itself upright and he grabbed your shoulders to hold you steady when you swayed.

Your eyes drooped. Your head spun.

He shook you again.

"Stop!" You whined.

"No. Open your eyes and look at me."

Just as you followed his command, another wave passed through you and you watched as your hands flickered. Flickered. Like a ghost.

Panic gave you a short but welcome burst of energy.

"Loki!" You whispered yelled with as much volume as you could manage, holding your hands up for him to see.

"Here." He took your hands in his and you watched as his green magic flowed from him into you.

It was like diving head first into a cold pool, the energy started at your fingers, quickly encompassing your entire body. Your hands resolidified.

"What's going on?" You asked.

"That should buy us some time."

"Time?" You looked at him, confused.

His hands squeezed your forearms, turning them over and running his fingers over your wrists. Watching him, you remembered.

"Oh god." His red gaze snapped up to meet yours. "Loke? What did I do? I-I didn't mean to. I-I didn't- That wasn't me. Something was wrong, I couldn't- I didn't-" You shook your head as fear of what you'd done swept through your body and tears leaked from your eyes.

Your breaths came in short, uneven bursts. The reality of what you'd done landed like a sour rock in the pit of your stomach.

Pushing away from Loki, you leaned to the side and heaved bile over the black rocks of the lake shore.