Eight

You stopped breathing for a beat.

"What are you doing here?" You asked, eyes still closed.

Funny, I was going to ask you the same thing. His voice was closer now. Do you recall our last conversation?

You scrunched your eyebrows and chewed your bottom lip, recalling what he had said about it being your fault he was here. You flinched when you once again felt an icy grip on your jaw.

Oh the things I could do with that mouth. The hand trailed down your neck.

You opened your eyes and met his crimson gaze.

"Listen, I don't know what you are doing here, haunting me. But I really don't think it's something that I did. If anything, I've been trying to distance myself." You pulled away from his icy touch.

The shadowy figure stood from where it'd been crouching in front of you. I'm hurt darling, truly. Most would grovel at my presence. Do you even know who I am?

"No, and I don't care to. I never should've started talking to you, a figment of my imagination. God, I've actually lost it." You laughed and began rubbing your temples where you could feel a headache brewing.

You really believe that I am not real? I assure you, I am very much real. In fact, I believe our feelings should be reversed. Imagine my disbelief when I am brought onto this plane, time and again. Pulled by powerful magics expecting to find a great wielder. Yet each time I am met by a mere mortal. A pathetic one at that.

He sneered, looking down at you.

That's it.

You stood trying to correct the height difference so he couldn't look down on you anymore. However, he still towered over you by about six inches. You took a deep breath and straightened your spine.

"I think you need to take a step back and think about the words coming out of your mouth. One moment you're kind, claiming to care about me, wanting to help me. The next, you're unapologetically rude. Annoyed by me. When I've done absolutely nothing to warrant your anger. It's giving me whiplash. Can you please just pick a mood? Then I can know if I'm supposed to hate you, or be your friend."

Something must've gotten through to him because the smirk fell from his eyes. He took a step closer reaching a hand out as if to caress your face again. His icy touch seemed to have a weird calming effect on you, one you didn't need right now. You put your hands out, to stop his advance.

Honestly, you didn't know what you expected to happen. You definitely didn't expect to meet an icy solid chest. His eyes changed from kind to horrified and he stepped back. You both watched as some of his shadows stuck to your hands, pulling away from him and into you.

Impossible.

His voice snapped you out of your trance. You looked from your hands, up into his shocked gaze. You'd never seen those eyes quite so wide.

In a second he was gone, had you absorbed him?

Some of the shadows seemed to linger on your palms, the veins leading up your forearms glowing a dim blue hue. Pacing, you frantically rubbed your hands together, trying to get the shadowy wisps off of you.

"No. No, no. Oh fuck. This can't be happening. Not good. Not good."

You sprinted back to your room, and into your bathroom. Turning on the hot water you began to scrub your hands in the sink in an attempt to get rid of the lingering chill. You scrubbed until you risked bleeding, but it wasn't working. Your fingers felt like icicles.

Sighing in defeat you shut off the water and looked at yourself in the mirror. Only to be met by a shadowy cobalt gaze.

"Shit!" You whisper screamed as you jumped back.

Slowly, you reapproached the mirror. Upon closer inspection you could see that the glowing blue shadows had taken over your eyes.

Just like how Tony described.

"It's okay. They will go back, they did before. You just need to sleep it off, then talk to Tony about it tomorrow. He will understand. Yeah. Okay."

With one last look in the mirror, you shut off the light and snuggled under your comforter.

Please understand.