Fifteen

"You truly expect me to believe that you have no control over this?" Demon implored.

The two of you had been chatting for sometime as you explored his domain. Turns out you couldn't go beyond the trees, you would just reemerge at the other side of the lake. So instead you opted to walk the shore of the frozen lake. Now you were approaching the glowing waterfall.

As promised, you had explained everything to him. Starting with the constant nightmares you had been plagued with from an early age, to the incident six months ago when the Chituarri attacked New York, an almost exact replica of one of your recurring nightmares, to all the new situations you'd found yourself in this past week.

"You can believe whatever you want. As you've proven more than once tonight, I have no power here. But I haven't lied to you. Honestly, I have no need to. You seem to be the only person ... entity? That can help me with this predicament, so why would I hide anything from you? Also, I'm sure if I did lie you'd know and would find some way to punish me. And my throat is still sore from earlier, so I'll opt out of that option. Thank you very much." You explained.

You gazed up at the waterfall as you walked behind it and stopped to reach your hand into its icy wrath. Drawing your hand back, you turned to look at Demon. "You really don't know either?" You asked.

He sighed and leaned against the cliff face. "I have a few theories, none of which are ideal."

"Oh." You took a deep breath. "Well maybe my friends can help?"

He pushed off the rocks, stepping towards you. "You mustn't speak to them about me. They cannot know of our connection."

"Why not?"

"They will likely try to separate our consciousness. And even though I am not sure the cause, I am sure that if we are not careful how we proceed there will be grave repercussions. Do not forget the last time we even attempted it. Until I know more, you must keep my existence to yourself." He demanded.

"Yes, sir." You gave him a mock salute. "But can they still do their tests, and maybe the sleep study? God if I could get a good night's rest that would be amazing." You spun around on your tiptoes, just the thought of no longer being absolutely exhausted had you excited.

"I suppose that would be permissible. As long as you share with me any and all of their findings." He added.

"Of course." You agreed, yawning and stretching.

"You are tired." He observed.

"I'm always tired."

"Hmm." He tilted his head, eyes studying you. "I will release you back to your realm now. But do not forget what we've discussed here today."

"I won't." You walked up to him.

He grabbed your hands in his. You allowed it, thinking this was how he would send you back. But a sharp pain in your left hand made you gasp, and try to step back. He tightened his hold, dragging your now bleeding palm under the cascading water. When your blood hit the water, it was immediately engulfed in a green glow.

"Ahh! S-stop!" You screamed, struggling anew.

Abruptly he let go, and you cradled your hand to your chest.

"Why?" You whispered looking up at him.

"My magic is growing stronger, I thought I'd utilize it. You now have a direct connection to this place. Should you need to, you can now come here yourself without waiting for me to pull you here. Should I need you, I can pull you here at whim without the use of aids like the one I gave you tonight or having to wait for your slumber." He explained.

"Oh. You could've just asked."

"Would you have allowed it freely?" He asked, pulling your hands away from your chest.

"No.." You answered honestly as you watched him heal your palm like he had the bruise on your arm the first day he'd fully manifested.

"Exactly. One more thing."

"Yes?" You asked hesitantly, now hyper aware of his proximity to you.

You weren't entirely sure you hated it.

"You will not allow that man from earlier to advance on you again. Going forward you are mine, and mine alone. I don't share, pet."

"But-" You tried to protest.

"Mine." He growled, pulling you into a shadowy embrace. The shadows grew, pulsing with that blue light that glowed brighter and brighter seeming to suck you into their depths.

***

Grabbing the edges of the tub, you pulled yourself up. The water was no longer cold and your heart felt like it was beating out of your chest. You swallowed multiple times as your stomach did little flips.

Did that really just happen? You thought as you spied the empty jar on the bathroom counter.

It did, and you'd do best to remember. You heard Demon's voice in your head.

"Okay." You whispered, taking a deep breath and getting ready for bed.