Thirty One

Beep.....beep.....beep.....beep.....

The rhythmic tones pulled your consciousness out of an empty dream. Your whole body felt heavy, like your bones were made of iron.

Beep.....beep.....beep.....beep.....

What is that sound though?

You tried and failed to open your eyes.

Beep....beep....beep....beep....

Other senses slowly came back to you.

Bright lights shining down on you, heating your skin.

Beep....beep....beep....beep....

Dryness in your mouth, like you'd been sucking on cotton balls.

Beep....beep....beep...beep...

A steady pounding in your head that matched the rhythm of the beeping, a cold sweat running down your neck and back.

Beep...beep...beep...beep...

Antiseptic burning through your nostrils.

Beep...beep...beep...beep...

You tried to move your hand up to rub the sandpaper feeling from your eyes so you could open them but felt a tugging sensation in the crook of your elbow.

Beep...beep...beep..beep..

Sandpaper be damned. You ripped your eyes open and squinted into the overhead light before you looked down at your left arm to the needle you knew you'd find.

Beep.. Beep.. Beep.. Beep..

Slowly, you drug your right arm across your body. It took you two tries to grasp the needle before pulling it out, wincing at the sting.

Beep.Beep.Beep.Beep.

The deep, gasping breaths you took fought with the incessant beeping for power over noise in the room. It felt like you were breathing through a straw.

BEEP.BEEP.BEEP.BEEP.BEEP.

Vision tunneling in and out of focus, you concentrated hard on not passing out as you shifted to get out of the bed.

Your legs immediately tangled in the blanket covering them, and you ungracefully plummeted onto the tile floor, ripping some round circles off that were stuck to your chest.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

You crouched into a ball, covered your ears and screamed at the machine that was now screaming at you. A bright blue light surrounded the machine before it exploded. Shards of metal flew at you, one piece cutting your cheek just below your left eye.

The doors to the room opened so quickly they bounced off the wall and were caught in the hands of a man wearing a lab coat.

~Get out. Get out now!~ The voice in your head was yours, but not at the same time.

Mind racing, heart pounding, breaths heaving, you stood from your crouched position drawing the scientist's attention away from the smoking machine, to you.

Vertical was not working out for you.

Swaying, you caught yourself on the side of the bed. The man held up his hands and started speaking, though you couldn't seem to understand what he was saying. He smiled reassuringly and took a step towards you, letting the door close behind him.

Looking around you saw no other way out of the room besides the door he had just come through.

~Trapped, you're trapped.~