Fifty Four

"Fuck, Cap wasn't joking about the snow." Clint's breath fogged up as the two of you made your way to the tree line.

You pulled your hood back up over your head and face to block the harsh wind.

"Oh shush a little snow never hurt anyone. Hey when this is all over maybe we can make snow angels?" You joked.

"Nah, I'd rather have a snowball fight."

"I could get behind that." You agreed.

"Yeah I bet there's a certain god you'd like to pelt with a ball of ice."

"Oh. You picked up on that huh?" You dropped your smile.

"Liv, the whole team picked up on that. Listen, we all know the two of you have your differences from what happened in New York that day with your class. But I'll be the first to say that I'm proud of you for being able to look past that and work together. I know more than any that it's not easy." His eyes scanned the tree line as he spoke.

They all think you're still mad at Loki for his attack on New York. You realized and decided to go with it.

"Yeah, it's not been easy." You agreed. At least that part was true. Nothing about Loki has been easy.

"Just don't let it get to you. We're all here for you and if it ever came down to it you know we'd choose you over him in a heartbeat."

"Thanks Clint, that really means a lot." The two of you paused your advancement for a moment to share a smile.

"Alright enough sentimentals. Time to get your bait on, Freaky."

"You know I hate that nickname Clint."

"Yeah but it's too late to change it so suck it up buttercup." Clint moved to the nearest tree at the edge of the clearing and started climbing.

"I think you're spending too much time spying on Tony in the vents, you're starting to sound like him." You hollered up.

Clint's laugh echoed down to you.

You waited until you couldn't see him any longer before taking a deep breath and making your way into the forest towards the path to the bunker.

The snow was untouched, a few inches deep. It dusted the pine trees surrounding you, softly crunching with each step you took. The forestry blocked most of the wind, leaving behind a gentle breeze slightly rustling the bare branches of the other trees causing some of the snow to fall off and drift down to you. Sunlight pierced through in places, reflecting sparkles off the white stuff.

It was so peaceful.

Well, if you ignored the fact that you were walking into a designed trap as the bait under the watchful eye of a highly trained assassin.

About fifteen minutes into your walk, you heard a twig snap ahead of you. You froze and looked around.

A dark shadow loomed just ahead behind the trunk of a tree. You waited.

After a moment, Bucky -no, the Winter Soldier- stepped into view. He held no weapon in his hands but you knew better than to relax. After all, one of his hands was a weapon in and of itself.

No, you wouldn't let your guard down. The figure in front of you was someone else wearing your friend's skin.

Slowly, as not to spook him, you reached up and pushed back your hood.

"You've returned." He spoke in a thick Russian accent.

"It would appear so." You answered.

"Strucker will be pleased."