Forty Four

When you finally made it to the library to meet Loki, he was nowhere in sight. Walking around, you found him in the kitchen.

"Am I refreshed enough to be in your company?"

Yeah, you were being bratty. But after the state Demon left you in, it really couldn't be helped.

"I know that some midgard customs are different to that of Asgard. Still, whatever you were doing for the past hour to refresh yourself doesn't seem to have worked. You do look clean though."

Don't snap at the god. Don't snap at the god.

Oh, please do. I believe our time just now to be very refreshing and would love a repeat.

I'm sure you would. You know you're giving mixed signals. Either you want me to maintain composure or you don't. Make up your mind.

He didn't answer.

Loki didn't comment on your lack of response, he just stood there waiting.

You looked at the counter in front of him.

"Pasta?" You asked, taking a small step closer.

Loki looked down at the two steaming bowls.

"Yes. I noticed it is a favorite of yours and the artificial intelligence told me that carbs were part of your meal plan."

"You cooked?" You sent a surprised look his way.

He scoffed. "I am not an invalid. I can perform the basic tasks of living. That includes providing meals for myself."

"I didn't mean-" You took a deep breath. "Thank you." You took the final two steps up to the counter, grabbing one of the bowls and sitting on a bar stool.

It looked like veggie alfredo.

You took a hesitant bite as Loki sat next to you.

Well, crap. This is pretty good.

Pet.

Crap is definitely not a bad word.

You test me.

Shrugging, you turned to Loki.

"There is nothing basic about this. It's better than anything I've had at restaurants even."

Loki gave a small smile and the two of you finished eating in silence.

When Loki magicked away the dishes, you got up from the island. "So, whatcha wanna do?"

"Pardon?"

"Earlier you said you wanted company. What did you have in mind?"

"I believe you mentioned the magic book having multiple parts. I would like to start on the next one."

"Okay, let's go."

You brushed up against his side as you passed him on the way out of the kitchen. You swore you felt him tense up at the contact, but chose to ignore it as you made your way to the library.

Looking around on the shelves, you found Chamber of Secrets and took it over to your chair. Loki had already settled on his chaise so you opened the book up and began reading.

***

"Miss Rose, it's time for your next training session."

Your eyes snapped up from the page you were reading. "What? I already finished the workout for today."

"That was the morning routine. Captain Rogers also left you an evening routine to follow as well."

"Of course he did." You growled.