Pure, Stupid Luck

Robin Hood's Point of View:

It has been weeks since my escape. I focused on building and controlling the Merry Men. We took over a forest not far from my previous town. The Sherwood Forest would be the home to a new village ruled by the Merry Men. I created districts in which groups of Merry Men would patrol. You will never be able to rid the world of bullies, but it does not mean you cannot stop them. The Sherwood Forest became a networking system, farming system, but most importantly home to many people. I gathered a small group of the Merry Men which are not all men. Women usually tended to train and raise the children in the village. We packed supplies for a village on the outskirts of Camelot. It was risky for me to go, but some part of me hoped that I would see Arthur again. Although I am sure, he is married or at least courted now. Noir, my noble steed, led the way. My group raced off to the village. I loved the rush of adrenaline I got every time we had a mission. The ride was not too long and lasted less than three hours. When we arrived, I slid off my horse. The head villager greeted me with a smile. 

"You should not have come yourself, Robin Hood; it is very dangerous with Camelot so close," he said.

"It is always a risk I am willing to take," I replied. I motioned for my men to start bringing the supplies over. The children ran over to pet Noir and the folk all mingled as my group finished bringing supplies over. The mission was short and sweet. Many villages that are on the outskirts of kingdoms could always use more supplies. With the food, clothes, and blankets dropped off, we left. It was midday now and the breeze was light. I soaked in the wind as it pushed my hair behind me. Everything was in good spirits. The ride continued in peace for another fifteen minutes or so until one of the riders yelled out... "Knights of Camelot! We've been spotted!" I'm starting to regret saying I wanted to see Artur. 

"Stay together, we have to lose them and remember they must not know about our whereabouts!" I shouted. Turning my head over my shoulder, I counted at least ten knights. We must have interrupted their scheduled patrol. My group spilt off in two. Noir like the other horses gained speed. I kept turning my head to scan the knights. I recognized a few such as Leon, Henry, and those crystal blue eyes... It was Arthur. The Merry Men were surprised when I brought Noir to a halt. I do not know what came over me, so I motioned for the group to keep going and get back to Sherwood Forest. Tom, my noble friend stayed back with me. The knights caught up with me, but my men were long gone. I jumped off Noir and bowed. I think Arthur was just as shocked to see me. Last time we saw each other, he was the predator and I was the injured prey.

"I am terribly sorry to have interrupted your patrol," I said removing my hood, "There was no need for me to pretend when you all already know who I am."  Arthur dismounted his horse and slowly made his way over to Tom and me. I felt nervous under his gaze and I refused to look him in the eye. My head hung low and my body still bowed. The same emotions swallowing my every bone never left and reminded me of the other life I lived as Marian. 

"Robin," he greeted. 

I shifted my head up. "Your highness," I responded. 

"Turn back and continue the route. I will meet you all back at Camelot," he ordered. He looked at me again and this time I looked back. My eyes glossed over with overwhelming emotion. This is what I wanted, but I was so scared of it. 

"Tom will you give the Prince and me a minute," I said, and Tom backed away with both reins for each horse in his hands. 

Arthur and I began to walk. "It has been a while," Arthur said. I glanced quickly in his direction so as not to miss a single moment of him. 

"It has," I said, "How is everything in Camelot?"

"Everything is normal, but I have to admit it's lonely."

"I thought you'd be happily married to Merlin" I joked. He lightly shoved me and I chuckled. I missed him. I missed his eyes, sand-colored hair, soothing voice, and welcoming touch. It all brought a sense of comfort, of home. But I know I cannot have him. 

"Robin, come back with me. I miss you. You haunt my mind every minute of every day; no matter how hard I try, my mind loops back to you."

"Arthur, I am a wanted criminal in Camelot," a moment of silence passed through. "But I missed you more than you can ever know." His eyes seemed to brighten and my smile began to widen. 

"I'll get you a pardon and you can put this job behind you." My smile faded. He was offering me freedom from a life that was not mine to be mended. For the past ten years, I have been what society needed me to be. I was a savior, a voice to those who never had one. I watched Tom for a second before looking back at Arthur. 

"You are offering me a second chance. The life I should have had but didn't," I said. My body screamed for his touch and his embrace. My mind cried for freedom. But most importantly, my heart longed for love. The type of love that I had lost when I was young. The type of love I yearned for in my heart. I had nothing to my name other than the Merry Men in Sherwood Forest which was my life's creation. "I need to speak with Tom before I give you an answer," I said before waiting for his reaction and I headed off in Tom's direction. 

"Tom, will you be the next Robin Hood?"

"What?"

"I know I am asking a lot from you, but I am getting no younger and have been in debt my whole life. I just want to live a life that feels like mine." He nodded for me to continue. "When I was in Camelot after saving a village, I pretended to be my mother. Those were the best few weeks of my life. It was something that was normal and something that felt like mine."

He said, "You plan to retire from your position for the freedom of a life you have lost."

"Yes, but I will only do so if you want to be promoted."

"I would be honored to fill your shoes and be the next Robin Hood." I hugged him goodbye as I took Noir's reins from him. Tom mounded his horse and left. I have no strings attached; I was finally free. I ran with Noir behind me to my love. Arthur held his arms open and lifted me up into the air. I giggled and he placed me down.

"Arthur, if you could pardon me, I would be the happiest woman alive."

"I will pardon you on one condition," he said. Nervousness crossed my face. "You would have to consider being a future Pendragon." I squealed and hugged him very tightly.

"It would be my greatest honor to be with you," I said placing a kiss on his lips. He deepened the kiss. Slowly backing away my lips from his, our foreheads rested against each other. If only a moment could last forever...

"Shall we head back to Camelot because I am sure that I am not the only one excited to see you," he laughed.

"Yes!" We mounded our horses and rode off towards Camelot. When we arrived back, I was greeted with smiles and warm welcomes. King Uther pardoned me when I told him the story and the truth about Robin Hood. The story was kept a secret because the next Robin Hood would carry my name and continue to make a difference. Arthur and I were happy, silly lovers. We had the same morals which connected us even more. He was by my side at every possible moment.  After a week of being in Camelot, my dear friends wanted to hear the story of how Robin Hood became to be. Arthur, Merlin, Gwen, Morgana, Gaius, Leon, and some other knights were huddled around me in the physician's chambers ready for the story. I started the story back at Locksley's Manor where it all began. I retold the same story that I just told you. 

Word Count: 1544

And with this chapter. Robin Hood (A Pendragon Story) has come to an end. I loved writing this story. If any reader is interested in a sequel, I will write one. But for now, our journey has ended. Feel free to join Merlin and his sister on adventures lined with the TV series in the book, A Heart For A Heart. If Camelot is not the next adventure you want to take then visit my profile for recommendations and other books.