Fate, Truth, And an Archery Contest

Robin Hood's point of view:

It was Arthur. He had me pinned against the wall in the alley. I gave him a questioning look.

"Why do you have me pinned against the wall?"

"Tell me something..." I met his gaze, "What is your connection with Robin Hood?" I became very nervous. I had to come up with an answer quickly.

"What makes you think I am connected to Robin Hood?" I smiled cheekily to hide any nerves.

Arthur's eyes lowered and he began, "The Sheriff of Nottingham seems to recognize you. He says you're a threat and should be questioned. I figured I would take matters into my own hands." Part of me wanted to tell him the truth, but what I wanted, even more, was revenge on the sheriff. I have been waiting for this moment forever to end that ongoing agony.

"I really don't know the Sheriff. I came only to visit a friend of mine," I lied.

Arthur's brow rose, "Who is this 'friend' of yours?"

I knew I could play with. I giggled and free my hands from his grip. "I guess you'll have to ask around."

Meanwhile in the throne room (sheriff's point of view):

"I'm telling you the girl is Robin Hood!" I yelled. They don't understand this brat has been under my skin and now I will finally have her in my clutch. The guards started to move in. I threw my hand up and said, "I'm fine."

"If you believe this girl is capable, I will have her arrested immediately," the king began to give orders.

"No..." I said as the king coldly stared at me, "If we want to catch her, we need an elaborate plan."

"Continue," the king commanded.

"Robin Hood is an amazing archer, so why not challenge her?" I suggested. The king nodded. "Let's create an archery contest and market only the best. Our trap will be set." Uther descended from his throne and put out a hand. I grabbed it and devilishly smiled. I began to walk out of the room until I decided to turn around. "Your majesty, I do not suggest telling Arthur of our plans, I fear he has bewitched by this foolish bandit."

Robin Hood's point of view:

The next day, there were pamphlets advertising an archery contest. I grinned and ran to find Merlin. However, I ran into Gwen instead. We talked about the competitors that were coming. I knew I had to compete the offer was just too good. I could easily beat the kingdom's best archer and a nice cash prize to send me on my way out of Camelot. Men were signing up under a stall that was labeled "Camelot's Archery Contest." I snuck into the castle and into the physician's chambers. I changed into another one of Merlin's limited collection of clothes. Glancing out the window, I threw my hair into a messy bun. Running back out of the castle, I stole a farmer's hat earlier in the market. I hopped in line with the other men covered in mud. Signing my name, I realized Arthur's name wasn't on the list. It was not like him to not enter a contest where his skills excelled. The competition was meant for Saturday, so I had three days to practice.

For the next two days, I rode Noir into the forest. Hunith had returned Noir to me when she visited Merlin over the previous weekend. I shot at pinecones hanging from the trees or holes in the bark from woodpeckers. Suddenly, I missed goofing around with Archer in our backyard. I laughed at the memory of my mother picking up a rake and joining in on our fun. It was just another reminder of why I was in Camelot. I was seeking out the sheriff. Rottingham was my target, and I was finally going to complete my mission.

It was the night before the competition when Morgana came pounding at Gaius's chambers. Merlin opened the door, and Morgana sped past him. She scanned the room until her gaze landed on me. She grabbed my shoulders shaking me. "Morgana, what is the matter?"

"Uther and the sheriff are planning to arrest you at the Archery Contest," she said. I knew there was a reason why Arthur's name was not on the list. He must have realized I was Robin Hood. My heart became cold. I had felt betrayed even though I betrayed him.

"Why would they arrest her?" Merlin questioned even though he knew the answer.

"She has been rumored to be the wife of Robin Hood," Morgana murmured.

"What?!" I exclaimed. I underestimated the sheriff. He was clever, and I wasn't bloody ready. I pulled Morgana in for a hug. "I promise I am not the wife of Robin Hood, and I won't go to the contest tomorrow."

"You won't?" Gaius and Merlin asked at the same time. I wanted to say "yes you won't", but I needed to gain Morgana's trust. "In fact, I will head out of town tonight."

"Really? Oh please be safe," Morgana pleaded. I gave her one more hug and rushed to get my bag.

"Thank you, Gaius, Merlin, and Morgana for your friendship and hospitality. Please tell the others I said goodbye." And with that sentence, I was out the door. I paid the stableman for Noir. It would only be me who knew of Robin Hood's identity. I threw my leg over the saddle and ushered for Noir to head to the city gates. We rode to a hidden spot in the woods near a lake. I had packed supplies just in case I intended to run. No matter how hard the sheriff tried to get rid of me, I would still be the firey figure haunting him in his sleep.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It was nice to have our noble steed, Noir back. Who is excited about No Way Home?

Word count: 991