The Paining Past

Robin Hood's point of view:

Merlin lightly tapped my shoulder. I warmly awoke with a smile on my face, which Merlin seemed to match. I sat up in the cot I had slept on the previous night. I leaped out of bed and ran into Merlin's room. I could hear the young warlock laughing from outside the room. I quickly laced up in a simple brown dress I had bought at the village market. I pulled my hair back into a low bun with a braided crown wrapping around my head.

 I pulled my hair back into a low bun with a braided crown wrapping around my head

I walked out of the warlock's room only to see him grinning as I approach. "How would you like to help me with my chores today?" he questioned with a stupid smile.

"I would love to Merlin, " I responded. Maybe working with Merlin will help me navigate the castle. We left the room, Gauis handing us each a sandwich for the way. Merlin started to explain his chores and I am pretty sure my jaw dropped.

"These chores are absurd," I blurted out.

He just laughed, "Well, the only the finest chores to match the Dollophead."

"Dollophead, what does that mean?" I sniggered.

"In two words?"

"Sure."

"Prince Arthur," he stated. Now my laughter filled the hall. Merlin's laugh chiming in. We became quiet as we were at Arthur's chambers. I pushed Merlin in front.

"It would probably be better if you went in first. I'll wait until he is up and aware."

Merlin sent me a cheesy smile to which I rolled my eyes. He walked into the prince's room as I propped myself against the brown door frame.

"Rise and shine," I heard the young warlock say. The prince was abruptly awoken and whipped a pillow towards his servant. I giggled as I watched the scene in front of me. Merlin continued to tease the prince. However, I became distracted when I heard many footsteps coming down the hall. It was the sheriff and his dumb knights. I started to panic, which wasn't like me. I quickly left the door frame I had rested my shoulder against and bolted down the other hall. I don't need the sheriff recognizing me and ruining my whole plan.

I was at the other end of the hall. Relieved, I sighed. As I went to turn the corner, I was pinned against the wall. "I see you're in a hurry," the sheriff stated. His hand pushing my hands harder. He eyed my body. "Such a pretty lady like yourself shouldn't be running," I turned my face away from his as he moved closer. "You could get hurt."

I pushed him away and commented, "I think I can handle myself, sheriff."

"Have we met before, you look so familiar?" He creepily said.

I tried to hide my shaky voice, "No, but I must be going." I mentally slapped myself. If I bolted around the corner, he would obviously see me. I just raised suspicion compared to if I just had stayed where I was.

I wish I actually helped Merlin with his chores. The long list seemed better than me listening to my own thoughts. Feeling trapped in your own mind is the worst type of torture. Instead, I sat on the roof of the stone castle watching the sunset. The cold stone seeping into my heated skin. I allowed my feet to dangle as I gazed upon the city. If you asked me what I thought my future would be like, I would have told you a simple cottage with two kids and a loving husband. That however is no longer an option. I have to live a life on the run or lose my head. I shook my head at those thoughts. I could never settle down. People needed the help, and I would help them. My life had no purpose, but to serve others. I released a sigh and started my way back to the physician's chambers. A goodnight's sleep and creating a little trouble with the sheriff would surely brighten my mood.

Merlin was already asleep. You could tell by the light snoring. Gaius was still awake as if he was waiting for me.

"It's late. Why are you up?" he questioned with suspicion.

"I could ask you the same thing."

"Marian, you will land yourself in trouble if you continue being Robin Hood here."

"I'm not planning to seek out tonight if that's what you mean," I kind of sneered.

"I just don't want you to get hurt, believe it or not you are like a daughter to me."

I was touched by his words. I had grown very close to people in Camelot almost to the point I could consider them family. But I can't settle down. And I won't let my connections get anyone killed. I can't lose someone like that again. I can't see the pain on others faces and know it's my fault.

"And you like a father to me."

"You know you can settle down, and live a simple life."

"My head is wanted everywhere."

"But you've made this life as Marian."

"But I am not Marian and lies don't last forever." He tried to say something else, but I interrupted him.

"I am Robin and sooner or later people will realize that I am that criminal Robin Hood."

"My name always gets the ones closest to me killed and I won't let that happen again."

Gaius just held his arms out and I fell into them. "I can't watch someone die for me, Gaius... I can't." I softly let my tears fall.

"As someone who cares for you, maybe you should try to open up a little more."

"You just saying that because I am crying in your arms right now," I sniffled out a giggle.

"Maybe," he also giggled. We separated and I wiped my now puffy eyes. Moments later, the prince himself appeared at the door. He seemed out of breath. Gaius and I slightly bowed.

"Merlin is asleep your highness is there anything I can do for you?" Gaius requested.

"No, that is quite alright Gaius. I am here for Marian actually." Gaius looked confused, but then pushed me forward.

"Is there anything I can do for you, your highness?" I copied Gaius.

"I thought I told you to call me Arthur."

"And I thought I told you to take it easy on Merlin."

"Fair point," he responded. I chuckled, which brought back my natural complexion. Gaius slowly walked to his bed. "Anyways..." Arthur started, "Would you care to join me?"

"Join you for what exactly?" Pink covering my cheeks. Before I could say anything else, he grabbed my hand and pulled out the chamber.

Word count 1165
I hope you liked it. Sorry for the cliffhanger. It has been a couple weeks since she has been at Camelot. She has been growing close to everyone including Arthur. There is more scenes of the two to come. Please vote and comment! I love feedback.