Morning Trouble

Robin's point of view:

I woke up on the wooden bench. I stretched my arms out and could tell that my sleep was not at all comfortable. I took a look around. Merlin and Gaius were still asleep. That's when I made my decision. I was going to steal more money for the lower town. It was too early in the morning for any of the guards to actually pay attention. I glanced out the window to see the peasants and servants slowly waking up. I slipped on my green hood after pulling my hair into a tight braid. Hair laid loosely around my face. I snuck to the door. I paced myself running down the hallways and various staircases so I would not wake anyone. The coin room wasn't guarded. I was taken back. "What fools," I snickered. Glancing in both directions, I swiftly approached the door. It had a simple lock, really. I easily picked the lock and grabbed coin bags to fit into my brown woolen bag.

It had been ten minutes now and the bag was filled. However, I didn't realize the weight of the bag. Then an idea struck my head. The flimsy bag was heavy, but not impossible to carry. Somehow I managed to make it to the armory. I grinned as a rusty wagon came into view. The wagon held simple weaponry. Quickly I stashed the bag in the wagon after removing the weapons from the worn-out bin. I unhooked my cloak and draped the beautiful hunter's green over the coin bag.

Pushing the wagon was way less energy than plan A. I forgot these schemes were a lot more successful with other people. The town was slowly stirring. The journey to the lower town was straightforward. I finished my passing out the coins in the lower town. That's when I heard the warning bells. The kingdom was now alert of the burglary that had taken place. "Time to cause some trouble," I smirked swinging my cloak over my shoulders. And being able to relax, I put my hood on to cover any main feminine features that had made up my face.

The front gates had guards. Nevertheless, I was weaponless. A small cart was advancing near the city gate. I grinned from ear to ear. Hurriedly, I leaped onto the back of the merchant's cart hiding under a sack of fresh potatoes, which made my stomach grumble. The guards were leery about letting the merchant in because of the warning bell. Luckily, they let this scruffy-looking fellow in. There wasn't much air underneath this pathetic sack. That's when I was violently slammed against the front of the cart as it came to an immediate stop. I hurdled out of the back almost tripping. My hood still somehow managed to stay on my head.

I came face to face with Arthur, the Sheriff, and their men.

"Well, well, well," I guffawed, "Look what the cat dragged in." The Sheriff seemed to be flustered.

"Hobin Rood... I mean Robin Hood," he bitterly said.

"Seriously, look at yourself, wow, the years really hit you hard," I said sarcastically. Some guards tried to muffle their laughs.

"How dare you insult me like that!" he hollered. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched Arthur motion to his guards to close in on me. "Guards! Arrest Robin Hood!" the Sheriff yelled.

"Well, it was nice talking to you, a great reunion, really..." I ducked under a guard's attack. He had blonde curly hair that went down to his shoulders. A nice beard grooming his face. I pushed him in the middle of the circle the guards originally made for me. Carefully, I stole his sword and bowed. "It was wonderful doing business with you, highness." Two guards charged at me. I challenged them on. One knight had umber skin that glowed in the morning sun. The other was an inch taller with short brown hair with a suitable beard. I taunted them closer. Again I ducked and they charged right into the Sheriff. All three men were piled on top of each other. I let out a suppressed laugh and made my escape. Although, Arthur was on my tail. I pulled myself on top of the horse pen. The roof was made out of straw but was very sturdy. I made direct eye contact with Arthur. The same feeling returned from last night. When I got lost staring into his sapphire orbs. A moment flashed the feeling of comfort and understanding that he gave me suppressed my heart. The kiss, his hands, our dance. Memories flooding my mind making me lose my cocky manner and focus. My body had gone into some sort of shock causing me to fall off the roof backward. Panicking I released a light scream. It would have looked cool if I was prepared for the fall, however, I definitely was not. I could hear Arthur and the knights coming in my direction. I tried to pull myself up from the ground. Every muscle in my body began burning and aching. With adrenaline running through my veins of trying not to get caught, I stood on my feet and bolted to the nearest home. I knocked on the back door of the third house I came insight with hoping they would let me in. A woman with gray-ish hair dressed in a ripped brown apron opened the door. I rushed inside and went into her bedroom.

"You're that Robin Hood," she stated but more like was questioning it.

"Yes, and I am to make a rapid change in appearance," I said out of breath. She walked in with her eyes closed. My reputation had reached Camelot and the fact that my identity must remain a secret. I am surprised that the villagers seem to respect my rule.

"Here a have my cotton shawl," she extended her arm.

"I can't..."

"You helped me financially so much, it is the least I can do."

"Thank you," I said wrapping the shawl around my hurting shoulders. I felt like I could barely walk, but pushed the pain aside. I briskly untied my braid and decided on a simple updo I would normally wear for work. That's when I realized I was in the dress I had worn last night. "I don't mean to be a bother, but do you have a dress I can borrow."

"Of course deary, just let me grab one for you." She appeared back around the corner with a blue-gray mixed color that splashed the cheap fabric. A dirty taupe apron fitted the main part of the dress. The dress was plain but very pretty in its own way. Nothing that compared to the gowns the lady Morgana wears.

I hastily slipped the dress over my head and adjusted the fabric to fit my body

I hastily slipped the dress over my head and adjusted the fabric to fit my body. "You may open your eyes." 

The old woman's eyes widened.

"You... you're a woman," she stammered to get out.

"Yes, thank you for all of your help and I trust you with my secret," I said doubting my impulsive decision.

"Of course, thank you, thank you." I briefly hugged her and said my goodbyes. The town seemed much calmer compared to the scene I had created earlier. With my body completely sore and ready to give out at any given moment, I decide to make my way back to physician chambers.