Part 43

(I am going to put my own timeline in here now just to make everything add up a little more. I hope.)

Day 205

After two weeks of sitting around and cleaning up the areas we had cleared, things were looking up. "Daryl, you need to pick a cell already." Carol sighs. "I ain't sleepin in one of them." Daryl mutters. 

Looking at Carol I shake my head. "Daryl!" Rick calls out. Today they were going to look for the cafeteria and the infirmary. However, I decided to stay and help clean up this area and organize our supplies.

Walking into the commons area, I look at the five men standing around. "What'd you find?" I ask curiously. "Flash bangs, CS Triple-Chasers. Not sure how they'd work on walkers, but we'll take em." Rick answers. 

Watching Daryl, I almost laugh when he picks up a helmet full of walker goo. "I ain't wearin this shit." he announces. "We could boil 'em." T suggests holding up a glove. "There ain't enough firewood in the whole forest. No." he replies completely disgusted as I laugh at him. "Besides, we made it this far without 'em, right?" he adds.

Smiling at the man, I almost miss Carol calling for Hershel and I. "Everything all right?" Rick asks. "Yeah. Nothin to worry about." Carol replies. Sighing, I walk into the cell block following Carol. 

Walking into a cell, I find Lori nearly in tears. "What's wrong?" I ask knowing it's too early for the baby to come. "It's the baby. I think I lost it." she sniffles. "You haven't felt it move?" Hershel asks. "Nothing and no braxton-hicks." Lori replies.

Sighing, I place a hand on her shoulder. "It could be too early for the braxton-hicks. But I have an idea. Stay here, I'll be right back." I smile softly. Standing up I exit the cell.

Entering the commons again, I grab a can of fruit. "Everything okay?" Rick asks again looking at me nervously. "Yea, like Carol said, nothing to worry about." I answer. "What's the fruit for?" Daryl asks confused. "I'm testing something. Mind ya business." I joke. 

Returning to Lori's cell, I hand her the open can and a fork. "Eat this. It should get the baby moving. If anything, once we find the infirmary, they'll have supplies I can use to check on the baby." I state with a smile. 

Hershel leads me out of the cell and back to the group. "Give me a list of what you need for the baby. Hershel knows what everything is." Rick states. The rest of the group puts on whatever they feel safe in aside from Rick and Daryl. 

Looking at the redneck, I take a deep breath. "Be safe." I state quietly. "Always. I'll hold onto the list. Maybe we'll luck out here." Daryl sighs. "Let's go." Rick states. "Be safe, Red." Daryl sighs before leaving with the group.

Sitting in the commons area. I allow Carl to lock the door while I look through our food supplies. Hopefully the cafeteria will have more options. I stay in the room for around an hour before I hear the door creak open. 

Daryl opens the door and the rest of the group pushes Hershel in with blood covering their hands. "What the hell?" I ask moving Maggie to the side. "He's losing too much blood." Maggie sobs. "Open the door! It's Hershel!" Rick yells for Carl.

They quickly get the door open as I apply pressure to the wound. "Get him on the bed!" I exclaims as Glenn and Rick wheel him into a cell. "Okay. I need something clean to put on the wound." I state looking at the blood that now coated my hands.

The group quickly moves him onto the bed. Removing the bandage I realize exactly what they'd done. "You hacked it off." I state. "He was bit." Rick sighs. "Maybe you got it in time." I state holding a new piece of fabric tightly against the wound. 

Holding the fabric, Rick looks over to me. "You think you can stabilize him?" Rick asks. "I need to keep his leg elevated. If I can get the bleeding to stop, he'll have a chance." I sigh. "Get some pillows." I order.

Rick rushes out as Maggie approaches. "He's already bled through the sheets." Maggie gasps. "We can burn the wound to clot the blood. I can make a fire." Glenn states. "No. The shock would kill him. His veins need to reconnect in order to circulate blood." I reply. "It won't stop the arteries from bleeding either." I sigh taking the towels from Lori to place over the wound.

Looking at the wound I shake my head. "Keep it dressed and let it heal on it's own." I state stepping out of the cell for a moment. I hear yelling from Daryl and T along with voices I don't recognize. 

Turning to Rick, we rush over to the door. "Glenn, do not leave his side. If he dies, you need to be there for that." I order as Rick hands Glenn a pair of handcuffs. "You think you can do this? Maggie will be there." Rick asks. "I got this." Glenn nods.

Running to the door, I take out my bow and arrow as Rick opens the door and we rush in. "There ain't nothin for you here!" Daryl yells pointing his crossbow at the prisoner who is now pointing a gun at me. "Why don't you go back to your own sandbox?" one of the prisoners yell. 

Rick holds a hand up. "Hey, hey. Everyone relax. There's no need for this." Rick states. "How many of you are in there?" the Latino asks. "Too many for you to handle." I answer placing a hand on Daryl's arm to get him to lower his bow.

The Latino looks between Rick and I for a moment. "Did you guys rob a bank or somethin?" he asks. "Why don't you take him to a hospital?" he adds. Sharing a look with Rick, T, and Daryl I realize they truly have no idea of what's going on.

Rick sighs. "How long have you been locked in that cafeteria?" he asks. "Going on like ten months." Latino answers. "A riot broke out. Never seen anything like it." a tall black man with a beard answers. "Attica on speed man." a little man with a mustache adds.

Sighing, I look at Daryl shaking my head. "Ever heard about dudes going cannibal? Dyin and comin back to life." a short black man asks. "One guard looked out for us, locked us up in the cafeteria. Told us sit tight, threw me this piece, said he'd be right back." Latino states.

Another man in the back sighs. "That was about two-hundred-five days ago." the man states. "Shut up!" Latino yells. "We were thinking the Army or National Guard should be showin up any day now." The man in the back adds.

"There is no army." Rick informs. "What do you mean?" Latino asks. "There's no government, no hospitals, no police. It's all gone." I answer. Latino points his gun at me causing Daryl to raise his bow again. 

Sighing I turn to look in one of the bags we have sitting in the room for any bandages. With the men continuing to argue over if the world had ended or not, I walk to the door leading outside. "Come see for yourself." I mutter walking out into the sunlight.