55

I awoke to a cold and empty bed, slowly turning over and gazing at the vacant spot beside me with a soft sigh. Finally, I hauled myself up and into a warm cloak which was laid out by the crackling fire, I smiled just a little at the thought.

The halls were quiet, even the courtyard looked void of life but as I passed an open window I saw what looked like a messenger entering the yard.

"Who is that for?" I demanded, rushing down the stairs toward the messenger who slid off his horse.

"The Lord Commander" He stated simply, I snatched it from him, the red wax stamp made my heart drop like a stone. The sigil of House Bolton.

I raced around Castle Black searching for anyone of importance, meanwhile seeing some questionable things but I was far too worried to care.

I slipped into the room where they sat at the table with several others, notably Sansa's travelling companions and those loyal to Jon. Instead of announcing myself loudly, I shuffled over to Jon and dropped a hand gently on his back and the tension almost immediately lessened.

"A message for the Lord Commander" I murmured, watching the tension reappear quickly as he reached for it, following it up with a simple statement.

"I'm not Lord Commander"

"I know" I mouthed to no one at all.

The table fell silent, Jon looked over the sigil with a heavy sigh and ripped it off, unrolling the message.

A glance at the first line sent me dropping to the bench between him and Tormund who shuffled a little to give me space. Jon just glanced up at Sansa who slowly put down her spoon.

"To the traitor and bastard Jon Snow,
You allowed thousands of wildlings past the Wall. You have betrayed your own kind and you have betrayed the North. Winterfell is mine, bastard, come and see. Your brother Rickon is in my dungeon. His direwolf's skin is on my floor, come and see."

He froze, locking eyes with Sansa across the table, both shocked and horrified. I just looked down, trying to keep my breathing as steady as possible while he read out the letter.

"I want my bride back. Send her to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your wildling lovers. Keep her from me and I will ride North to slaughter every wildling man, woman, and babe living under your protection. You will watch as I skin them living-" He paused, setting his jaw angrily.

"Go on" Sansa insisted, she looked surprisingly calm and collected considering the threats he was making.

"It's just more of the same" He almost growled. but Sansa instead snatched the letter from him, his hand dropped to my leg instinctively and I rested my own on top of it.

"You will watch as my soldiers take turns raping your sister. You will watch as my dogs devour your wild little brother. Then I will spoon your eyes from their sockets and let my dogs do the rest. Come and see. Ramsay Bolton, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North" Sansa finished.

Everyone around the table looked disgusted, myself included, I couldn't even look Sansa in the eye, guilt still clung to me like mud after it's rained.

"His father's dead" She announced, "Ramsay killed him, and now he has Rickon"

"We don't know that" Jon began, I felt his hand twitch slightly.

"Yes we do" Sansa snapped back.

"How many men does he have in his army?" Tormund spoke up softly, I glanced sideways at him, suddenly very curious about the exact same thing.

"I heard him say 5,000 once when he was talking about Stannis' attack"

"How many do you have?" Jon turned to ask his friend, I leaned back ever so slightly to let them discuss, but suddenly became very aware of how clearly obvious our newfound closeness was. I wrapped my cloak tighter around myself, covering my skirts.

"That can march and fight? 2,000. The rest are children and old people" He replied quickly and certainly, Jon's face fell as did everyone else's.

All except Sansa who still looked hopeful, "You are the son of the last true Warden of the North, Northern families are loyal, they'll fight for you if you ask" She tried to assure him, he was downtrodden but she was relentless and reached across the table to grab his hand, "A monster has taken our home and our brother, we have to go back to Winterfell and save them both"

A short time passed before Jon relented and nodded curtly, he knew Sansa was right and that she would only be safe when Ramsay was dead.

"Good" She responded, pushed her food around for a second then stood up and walked straight out the room, followed soon after by Brienne and Podrick.

"I'm going for some air" I announced and left in the opposite direction, the way I came in and back out into the courtyard.

The cold was growing on me, or perhaps it was the people around me. But thinking back to that first moment I spent in Winterfell, my thoughts and desires had changed so drastically, but so had everything else.

I couldn't deny that any thought of the South was leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Kings Landing would never feel like home to me ever again, no after everything that happened there and everything that continued to happen.

With a soft sigh, I glanced back at the Wall behind me. What Jon told me about what was beyond the Wall was what a soldier saw, I was no soldier, just a girl who wanted to be free. I could be a wildling, live amongst them, adopt their way of life, no one would ever find me, no matter how hard they would try.

But I couldn't go yet, I knew I wasn't as useful as everyone here but I couldn't go without knowing that they were safe. After not being able being able to help her when she needed me, or be able to support a young illegitimate boy, I owed them my support now. I owed them the support of a princess, that was what I was, no matter how hard I denied it.