Numero Cinco

This is...so awkward... I think to myself as Kel and I enter the cafeteria together. We head over to the lunch ladies and get what we want. Every second of every minute Kel's always either greeting someone or talking to someone.

I'm not surprised...it's been this way since Kindergarten.. I think. As we head over to the library the same to girls, Jessica and Yasmin bump into me. My juice falls down to the ground ah damn.

They start to laugh as I, embarrassed, start to pick it up. "Sorry not sorry, if you weren't so invisible  then we probably wouldn't have crashed into you!" Jessica says giggling afterward.

She passed me, I narrow my eyes it'll be fine...at least it didn't spill onto the floor...that would've been even more embarrassing.  "Hey...are you okay ?" Kel asks, his eyes look so serious.

"Em...yeah let's just-" before I can finish my sentence Kel turns towards the girls and calls their name "Jessica, Yasmin!". They turn to look at him , they look confused. "Apologize, now." He says seriously, my eyes widen in surprise.

Why?  I think to myself. "Pfft- what? And just why would I do that? She's the one who bumped into me!" Jessica says waving her hair around. "C'mon we both know that's not true, now apologize" he says, he walks closer to them.

They look annoyed "like I said, she's the one who bumped into me-" Kel interrupts her "I guess you wouldn't mind the cheerleader captin to know about this as well huh?". Her eyes widen, her expression anxious "y-you wouldn't-" "yes, I would".

There's a moment of silence before both Jessica and Yasmin come up to me. "W-we're sorry" they both say nervously. "I-I...em..it's okay..?" I say not knowing what to do. They roll their eyes and walk away, I look at Kel "wh-why did you do that?" I ask.

"Isn't it obvious? They were being mean for not reason! I, I really hate mean people ". My heart aches but only for a second, "oh...l-lets keep going, yeah?". We continue to walk towards the library, when we get there we find a table and sit down.

I begin to eat my lunch as Kel starts talking about how sweaty basketball gets you. I listen quietly as he speaks, for some odd reason I can actually understand him unlike the other popular kids.

"Anyway, what book were you reading the other day?" He asks suddenly. "O-oh- it's nothing special really..." I reply nervously. "Even if it's not, I want to hear about it !" He says, he smiles brightly at me.

"O-oh-, em...well it's a romance..." I say, I look down at the ground. "Mhm?" He says, he gets closer to me shoot what now? I'm so used to people talking over me I don't know how to talk now! . I stare at him nervously.

"Em...that's it?.." I say, I smile awkwardly. He narrows his eyes "Y/n I may not know much about books but I do know that a romance book isn't just a romance book!". I look away embarrassed damn it! Curse your social skills!

"To be honest, the only book I've ever read and actually liked was the very hungry caterpillar" he says, he puts a finger up. Something about the way he said it made me burst into laughter.

He looks at me weirdly as I die. This is probably the most I've laughed in a while! I think to myself. I grab my stomach as it starts to cramp up. "Wh-whats so funny?" He asks worried, "it's just...the very hungry caterpillar!?" I say giggling afterward.

"Oh yeah? At least I said what book!" He says pouting, it makes me laugh even more. After a few seconds I calm myself down "sorry that somehow...really cracked me up..." I said. "It's no problem really, I'm glad I could make you happy Y/n".

I stare at him surprised why?  I ask myself. "Hey Y/n?" "Yes?" He smiles warmly at me, it's not irritating anymore. "Wanna be friends? "