25 Finale

The world feels light. Or me. Or everything. I feel the shift of my body, but can't feel anything against my skin. It's similar to being in a bubble. You know you're moving, but have no concept of the world on the outside. I can feel my heart slowing, feel my breathing becoming shallow, and yet I can't do anything about it. My mind goes in and out, some moments I can hear the begging on Theo, the next it's a static silence caging me in. Now it's time. The slither of the voice, it crawls through my mind resonating through the front of my head. I can almost feel the feet rushing over my skin as it settles in the front, a warmth swelling right between my eyes. I can't hide my excitement. It pulls into a tight ball. If I had control of my arms I would swat at it, push it away, but I can't. I can't feel anything but it's hundreds of feet shifting back and forth over my brows, then back to a bundle in the middle.

You were difficult to get a hold of, but you can't avoid fate. Fate? This is fate? This is worse than hell itself. I'll let you say goodbye.

Goodbye? The sensation of touch waves over my skin. My hearing loses the dull static, becoming the sounds of leaves crunching beneath feet. I can barely peel my eyes open to see Theo sweating down his brows rushing through the night. He looks down to see my soft smile. I've lost all my strength, my reliance on him completely, "Hey flower, we're almost there. Stay with me." He's scary calm. His voice staying a monotone. He's keeping it together, focused on his task at hand. I wish I could find the strength to lift my arm to touch him, rub my thumb over the scrunch between his brows.

The trees disappear around us, the city coming into view. I'm being ran down the sidewalk to a woman waiting outside the door. The doctor. She's the same one who'd helped with the bullet wound, a kind woman that doesn't hold back her tongue, "Get her on the bed." She tugs the door open, her small clinic only able to hold one patient at a time. She's funded by the bears, one of the few humans that know of the wares without a mate, and her office is only for the human mates. You act like this human can save you. The voice claws behind my eyes. A warning if I'd ever heard one.

"She passed out, her breathing and heart slow, she was fine all day..." Theo drops the cover he had on himself, the worry pouring from him towards the doctor, "Please help her."

"That's my job isn't it?" She tuts, grabbing at my hand that lays limp off the side of the bed, "Can you move, Eos?"

Even the simple task of shaking my head isn't plausible. I just stare at her, my eyes begging for her to understand. Theo comes up to my head, his hand running over the braid laying over my breasts, "She's paralyzed. I've never seen anything like this." The doctor's honesty is appreciated, "Her tests came back completely normal three days ago. I don't know..." The doctor grabs at her hair tugging at the ends. I watch in fear when she drops at her laptop, fingers flying over the keys.

She stands up, her stethoscope coming between her hands, "I've sent a message to the other ware doctors, and maybe they've seen this. I'll take her vitals while we wait." The cold metal is moved quickly over my skin. She takes extra time at my heart and lungs, then a blood pressure test, "She's almost the same as a dead person, and I don't feel comfortable performing anything that could make this worse."

"Run more test! Do something!" Theo cries out, pulling my good hand up mockingly, "Could this be a poison from the bullet? A potential infection?"

"No, no." She points her finger at Theo, "And if you don't calm down you'll end up sending her into a heart attack. I'll draw some blood, run a few more things. The panthers haven't seen this before, but offer support if I need it." She peaks back to the laptop, "The dragons haven't either. We're on our own, Theo."