Chapter 64

- I can't believe we're living this déjà vu. – Yuki said to her best friend. She hadn't said it out loud, but had the same thoughts as the person beside her.

The six women were at the hospital at that moment. Mon and Yuki had decided to go to the cafeteria for some coffee after a few hours of waiting for any news regarding Sam's grandmother. As it had happened ten years prior, she had fainted in front of her granddaughter after she had told her about her relationship with a woman. They all knew she had acted that way because she wanted to keep Sam to herself. Because she wanted her granddaughter to be by her side for the rest of her life. By not letting her be the woman she was, but the woman she wanted her to be. And she had seen that, in the past, acting as an ill old woman had worked out. So she was trying to play the same trick. But, that time, the magician had already shown the truth behind the illusion. And Mon was hoping her girlfriend thought the same of her.

- Hey. - Yuki calling her made Mon come back to reality. - Our coffees are ready. Should we come back? - the ginger asked, as she was carrying three cups in her hands. Mon nodded and took the other cups.

The way back to the waiting room was in silence. Yuki understood what her best friend could be thinking and decided not to add much pressure on her. She didn't know how she would act if she was in her shoes. And especially having the feeling that they could be in the same situation as ten years prior. She didn't want Mon to find a way to run away if things with Sam didn't work out. She knew she was a bit selfish for thinking that, but she didn't want to lose her best friend once more. So, when they were about to reach her friends, she stopped Mon for a second.

- So... - she started saying when she had all her attention. - I just wanted to tell you that, whatever happens today, I'll always be here. You'll always have me by your side. Remember that, okay? - Mon smiled when she saw the ginger's puppy eyes. She understood why she was saying that.

- I know. Thank you, Yuki. - she hugged her best friend for a few seconds that reassured Yuki that she was not going anywhere.

When they separated, the ginger started walking towards Jim to give her her coffee and, afterwards, towards her girlfriend to be hugged by her. Mon went straight to Kate to do the same. After that, she locked eyes with Sam, who smiled a bit when they saw each other. Mon walked towards her, gave her her drink and sat by her side. Sam took a sip of her coffee and sighed. She hated the spot she was in at that moment. She was having a great time with her friends and girlfriend, with no worries after a complicated couple of months after Kirk's passing. And, then, her grandmother had to ruin everything. She was sure the woman had used the same technique as ten years prior and she was not going to bite the dust again. She had learned the hardest way possible how awful her life was besides that woman and she was never going back there. But, before letting the woman know, she needed to talk to someone.

- Mon. - she said, turning a bit to her right to look at her girlfriend. - I'm sorry we're here right now.

- Don't be. It's not your fault at all. So you don't have to apologize for things you cannot control. - Mon gave her a sweet smile, but that was not enough reassurance for Sam.

- I don't know exactly what is going on inside your mind, but I want to make a few things clear. - she swallowed and took Mon's hands before she kept speaking. - What happened today doesn't change anything in my life. And nothing regarding you and I. My grandmother is a selfish person that needs to have everything under control and, when she doesn't like what happened today, she tries to find a way to get it back. In this case, by attacking my feelings for her. But I had enough. - she had passion and strength in her voice, but couldn't stop a tear from leaving her eye. - I was miserable all these years not being with you. I had my best friend as my husband and my beautiful daughter, but my life never felt complete. And now that you are back, I don't want anything to change. And nothing is going to stop me from...