Chapter 51

- Hi. - Mon said, with a small voice, coming closer to the table where the other four women were already sitting. It was a few days after the funeral and, knowing Mon would like to meet her college group friend, Tee had texted her, suggesting she should join their afternoon together.

- Mon! - Kate shouted and stood up to come closer to her. She hugged her tight and, even though she was taken by surprise, Mon replied the same way. - It's been really long. I've missed you. - she separted and Mon smiled.

- I've missed you, too. It's been so long.

- Too long, I would say. - Jim commented and also got closer to hug Mon. - How are you doing? - she asked, as they ended the hug.

- Fine. I see you're pretty fine as well. - Mon was looking down to Jim's tummy, and it was really bulging.

- Fourth one. She doesn't stop. - Tee said and Mon laughed for a second. - Hi, Mon. Nice to see you again. - they hugged for a second.

- It's great to see you too.

Then, she looked at the ginger, who was uncertain about what to do. Mon was the same. In the middle of the confusion, Tee pushed her partner, making her stand and hug her former best friend for a second. She came back to her chair, leaving Mon sad but, yet again, she thought she deserved it. She sat in the last free chair and, when the waiter came, they ordered different coffees. As he was leaving, Jim spoke.

- So, queen lawyer and best seller author, how are you doing in London? We have really missed you a lot.

- I've missed you too. It's been a non stop all these years. But there's not a lot to talk about, actually. I'm still in the same firm and I keep writing books, as you know. It's great to have both lives at the same time, but it's a lot of work. - she saw Kate about to open her mouth, and she thought she knew what she was about to ask. - And no, Kate. I don't have a partner at the moment. I haven't had one in really long. - she nodded and didn't add anything else. Mon had said a half truth, but she didn't want to sadden the atmosphere, so she shifted the focus. - And what about you, Kate. I've watched all your movies that made it to London in the cinema. I'm guessing you're doing pretty fine.

- I cannot complain. - she said, shrugging. - I've had a pretty great career so far and I'm currently playing only the roles that I really want to do, so I'm really happy. That doesn't leave me time to have a partner like it happens to you. I've put my career first and that's one of the downfalls. I can't have a big family like Jim has.

- Well, I must admit that having a successful husband and not having to work makes things easier. - Jim confirmed what her friend had said. - But it's not easy to raise three kids now that I have a fourth one coming. I'm really exhausted, but I'm also really happy. Next time, you can come and visit us at our house so you can meet my children.

- Don't do it. - Tee suggested. - They are really noisy and they will take all the energy of your body. - Jim kicked the woman's arm, making Mon and Kate laugh.

- I think I can handle some time with them. I'm sure they are not that bad. - she said, still smiling. She had missed laughing with them.

- Thank you, Mon. - Jim said. - You're just jealous you don't have kids in your life.

- No, thank you. Neither Yuki nor me want children of our own. I would rather spoil your kids. We have our hands full with our company after my father's retirement and with each other. And that's all I need to be happy. Don't you agree, my love?

Tee was asking, looking at Yuki. The ginger nodded, but looked like she wasn't present. Mon thought she was feeling uncomfortable about her presence and it was partially true. However, more than uncomfortable, Yuki was angry. Tee, who understood every single gesture of her partner, looked at Jim and Kate and tried to tell them, without speaking, that they had to leave.