Chapter 46

- I'm really glad to start working here. - Mon said, trying to pronounce correctly.

- I think that was great! - Sam exclaimed, with a smile on her face.

They were at the airport at an early hour in the morning practicing English. Finally, but unfortunately, the day that Mon had to move to London had arrived. Since graduation, she had been looking for a flat to live in and had prepared her luggage for the trip. Only the most essential first. Then, she would have time to send more of her belongings to London. Mon had tried to keep that week as calm as possible. She was about to experience the biggest change ever and was excited about the challenge of living on the other side of the world, doing what she loved the most. However, being away from her parents and friends was going to be really hard. She was a bit scared of losing the relationships she had built over the last three years. Especially her relationship with Sam. Because, before anything happened between them, they were really close friends. And she wanted to continue that. Distance shouldn't be a problem for them if their feelings for one another were that strong. Besides, Mon was only going to be two years away from Thailand, so it couldn't be impossible to accomplish. She was going to miss her, but she knew she would always have her by her side.

- English is really tough. Especially the pronunciation. How can I improve? - Mon was a bit frustrated with herself.

- I'm sure that you will eventually. - Sam was trying to cheer her up. - You'll be forced to speak the language, so you'll be able to learn faster. Besides, you have the classes the firm's paying you for, so you'll be good. I'm sure of that.

- I hope so. Because, without English, how will I be able to do a good job at the office? I will be left aside. And I really want to be good at my job.

- You'll be. You also have the Internet to tell you how to say something if you don't know it. Don't worry, it's going to be okay. - they looked at each other for a few seconds, smiling, before Sam talked again. - I'm so proud of you. If anyone in this world deserves this job, that's you. I know how much you enjoy the law and how great you are in court. You're going to kick ass in London.

- Or I'll be bringing coffees to my bosses or locked in my flat writing about my depressing life. - she turned a little, like she had had an amazing idea. - Maybe a great book can come out of it. "The life of a locked girl. A story based on true events". I'm seeing it in every bookstore around the globe. - they laughed at that. It was nice to have a moment like that in a situation like the one they were living in. At least, they would always have those moments to come back to every time they missed each other.

However, and unfortunately for everyone there, the mood changed with only a few words.

- Passengers on flight GP1122 bound for London, please board at gate 19. - the airport's speakers announced in different languages.

Everyone stood up. That was Mon's flight, and she couldn't postpone the goodbyes any longer. So, a few steps before the gates where the non-passengers couldn't cross, she turned and looked at her parents.

- I'm so proud of you. - Ann started saying. - You're not only doing what you've worked so hard to get, but you're also starting strong, moving to one of the top cities in the world. I'm sure it's going to be worth it.

Mon swallowed, putting down the lump in her throat.

- I'm really proud as well. - Jor added, with a sad tone of voice. - But I would have loved to have my little girl with me for some more time. I'm going to miss you a lot, my little girl.

When she saw her father crying, she couldn't contain herself anymore. She cried while hugging her parents.

- Thank you for always believing I could accomplish anything by working hard on it. Thank you for all the support you've given me over the years. I want to repay you for everything as soon as I can.