Ch. 4 Metal's End

One morning in Adventure Bay, Rocky was walking around humming to himself. "Okay, that should be all my chores. I can head to the park now." Rocky then stopped, glancing to his left, and saw Chase still sleeping. "Chase, wake up!" Rocky barked, causing Chase to gasp and wake up.

"Rocky?" Chase asked, coming out of his puphouse in a hurry. "What's the trouble?" He grunted sounding dazed, his eyes looked a little shocked too. Rocky paid it no head and smiled at his friend.

"Nothing's wrong. We're heading to the park today with everyone, remember? This is our day off! Come on, we can go together!" Rocky exclaimed, running ahead.

"You go ahead, I'll catch up," Chase said, watching Rocky run onward.

"Suite yourself!" He howled back as Chase looked down at his water bowl, which was next to Sonic's.

"Who was that pup... in my dream?" Chase asked, rubbing his face with his paw. "What a weird dream that was too. Sonic was there... in my memories of us stopping Humdinger in Adventure City... but I KNOW he wasn't there. We didn't get to meet him for another few months." Chase groaned, looking back in the water at his reflection.

The reflection of his face began to shift and change, causing Chase to stare at it. He then froze upon seeing his reflection showing a different-looking dog! He gasped and backed away before looking at his reflection again. This time, his reflection was normal. He sighed in relief, and then looked up at the Lookout with curiosity in his voice. "That pup looked like me, but... why would I have a blue strand on a fur tuft that I don't even have? So strange." Chase sighed, before walking toward the bridge.

"I'd better get going."

________________________________________________________________________________

At the park, Chase saw all the pups playing happily, except Sonic, who was just laying under the shade of a tree enjoying the laughter. Satisfied, Chase decided to join in the game of tag everyone else was having.

Ryder meanwhile, was sitting on a park bench with Robo-Dog. He was fiddling with Robo-Dog's wiring. "There, maybe that'll fix the glitches." The boy said as Robo-Dog turned on. It barked wagging its metal tail, but then he buzzed and froze for a second. The robot made a sad face on its LED screen, causing Ryder to sigh. "Why can't I figure out what's wrong with you?" Ryder sighed.

Rocky noticed Ryder's conversation and stopped to head over. "Ryder, still no luck?" Rocky asked as Ryder shook his head.

"No matter what I do, Robo-Dog's glitches keep getting worse. At this rate, he may soft lock and never turn on again." Ryder sighed as Robo-Dog looked at Rocky with a blank stare.

"Never ever?" Rocky asked as Ryder nodded.

"I can only do so much. I'm a genius yes, but not a miracle worker." Ryder sighed, walking away. Rocky frowned and looked up at his metallic friend. "Maybe I can fix you. I bet there are some materials in the woods we can use. Come on, Robo-Dog! Let's go have a look." Rocky said as he and Robo-Dog left. Chase flicked his ear hearing the movement and decided to follow after them.

"I'll come back later," Chase assured the other pups as he followed the pair until catching up. "Where are we heading?" Chase asked as they eventually entered the woods.

"We're looking for some things we can use to fix Robo-Dog!" Rocky replied.

Chase grew a skeptical look on his face. "You think you'll find that in the woods?" Chase asked.

"Never hurts to try! Besides, stupid people always litter around here, so I'm likely to find something useful." Rocky reasoned as Chase shrugged.

"You're beyond me in optimism." Chase sighed.