Ch. 2 Pups and the Second Police Pup

One morning in Adventure Bay, Chase was working hard to direct a traffic jam as Ryder and crew were trying to get electricity back on. Chase yawned from being up so early. The sun was only now beginning to rise and Chase longed for the pillow of his puphouse. Working for 2 hours while waiting for Ryder and the others to get things done was very taxing for a pup of his age.

"All cars, stop!" Chase shouted through a megaphone. The cars did so and Chase motioned for people on the sidewalk to walk across the street. Mayor Goodway and a few other people were doing so, but Mayor Goodway stopped at the other side to stare at Chase.

"Chase, you alright? You don't look well." Mayor Goodway said as Chase glanced back at the Mayor with a forced smile.

"I'm *yawn* fine, Mayor," Chase replied, continuing to direct traffic. Suddenly, Chickaletta poked her head out of Mayor Goodway's purse, excited by the morning sun.

"Bock-bock!" The chicken clucked, causing the German Shepherd to jump out of his skin in shock.

"Agh!" Chase shouted, as the cars suddenly started to swerve and go all over the place, all stopping just before a collision happened.

Everyone gasped as everyone stared at Chase.

"U-Uh sorry... " Chase whimpered, glaring at Chickeletta.

"Perhaps, you should go to bed when you get home." Mayor Goodway suggested.

Chase nodded, looking away as he tried not to cry for almost getting people hurt. He barked, making his puptag light up. "Please tell me you're done, Ryder." Chase begged.

"Actually, we just turned the power back on," Ryder said over his puptag.

The traffic lights then came to life and the street traffic began to flow normally again. Chase got back to the sidewalk and sighed.

"Chase, what's wrong? I know that sound, why are you crying?" Ryder asked as everyone stared at Chase again. Chase sighed and wiped his eyes.

"Nothing... " Chase said as he turned off the puptag and walked home, too embarrassed to look at the people around him.

________________________________________________________________________________

Back at the Lookout, Chase had gone to bed on Mayor Goodway's suggestion. Ryder finally arrived back at the Lookout too, where Sonic was watching some cartoons. He saw everyone enter the Lookout, aside from Chase. "Hey, glad you're all back safe," Sonic said, stepping away from the TV. He had since gotten better at walking, but running was still an issue.

Ryder walked up to Sonic as the other pups all yawned heading to their puphouses. "Is Chase here yet?" Ryder asked.

"He didn't come in here," Sonic replied.

Ryder walked outside to Chase's puphouse and looked inside to see him sleeping. "Okay, he seems alright," Ryder said with Sonic stepping up next to him.

"Why, did something happen?" Sonic asked.

"Mayor Goodway called me and told me that Chase was so tired this morning, that he became jumpy. Chickaletta scared him and made him mess up with directing traffic. Chase was upset and due to being tired, couldn't hold back crying and... I called attention to it through his puptag. It made everyone look at Chase funny and he felt embarrassed and left, not even bothering to get to his vehicle and drive home." Ryder stated. "Some of it is guesswork, but from what Mayor Goodway told me, this is most likely what happened this morning.

"Why was he embarrassed?" The Jack-Russell terrier inquired.

"Chase doesn't have much memory of his parents before getting abandoned in Adventure City, but what he did learn from his brief memories of them was that crying was considered a weakness," Ryder explained.