26

jisung decided to go check up on minho. hyunjin's comment wasn't really hurtful or anything, but it reminded him of how his 'playing-it-safe' strategy had failed him: everyone thought he couldn't understand other people and wasn't good at relationships.

but he felt like he should talk to minho now, just to check up with him and make sure he was alright. if that failed, he thought, he was going to stop trying. he would wait for things to pour over him like felix and live his best bottom dreams.

as he was thinking that, and mentally getting prepared to knock on the door of mr jeon's office, jisung noticed a familiar figure in the hallway. at first, he didn't register that it was exactly the person he was looking for, but then minho stopped and waited for the boy to approach him.

finally, jisung noticed him and stopped, only a metre away from him.

"oh, hi," he blurted out and froze for a second. he had been pre-preparing and now that the process had been cut short by the apparition of the older, all thought had left him, "oh, i mean.. good afternoon, mr lee."

"hi," minho replied softly. he looked chatty but without his usual smile, "everything okay?"

"yeah, and you?," the younger returned seriously and bit his lip, "oh, no, i mean.. because.. um.. today in class you were.."

"i didn't handle that very gracefully, did i?," minho asked and the student nodded without realising what that meant, "well, next time will be better, i hope," he giggled at the honesty.

"oh! oh no, i didn't-," jisung tried to defend himself.

"i quit my job and i don't know what to do," the older admitted and swallowed hard, looking to something in his hands, "here, have one," he opened the package and offered a chocolate chip cookie to the other.

"no, thanks, i don't want to take your lunch," jisung mumbled but he was too shocked to comment on the other thing.

"no, please do. i have even more of those in my backpack. you'll do me a favour if you take it," minho insisted and watched the boy carefully pull a cookie out and bite into it, "how is it?"

"great, actually," jisung exclaimed and covered his mouth with a hand.

"it's probably not that good but i was still in denial when i made them," the teacher exhaled sharply, "not that it's any better now.."

"wait, you made these?"

"yeah, i was stress-baking the whole night after i called my employer to tell her to cancel everything," minho scratched his neck and smacked his lips together.

"well.. at least it's better than stress-eating..," jisung let out as he chewed.

"oh, i'll have plenty of time for that too. since i'm literally gonna have so much free time now..," the older sighed and cracked his fingers.

"maybe you should find another job?"

minho giggled, "yeah, sure, like what? there's not many jobs that i can do.."

"you could always be a barista," jisung suggested and shrugged.

"oh no. be a punching bag to pretentious customers and do all nasty things like clean tables and toilets for the minimum wage," minho threw his head back in disgust, "service jobs really aren't for me.."

"sorry, but don't you think that your latest job.. can't be worse than making coffee?," the younger swiftly questioned.

"no. the money was good and everyone did things my way. if someone was mean to me i could always kick him out. imagine doing that at the café.. i would be fired in no time," minho reflected and leaned back against the wall.

"wow. i can't believe i'm saying this but you're so spoiled," jisung couldn't help but exclaim.

the teacher started giggling and his eyes glistened, "you're absolutely right. i am. i was getting paid a bunch for simple and not unpleasant tasks, and it's difficult to switch to 'normal' jobs," he made finger quotes for the word normal, "and my lifestyle is also threatened.. i don't know if i will be able to keep my apartment with another job.."

"maybe you can be a cook?"

"no, because i don't have any experience, nor do i want to come here every day and talk about philosophers while smelling like onions..," minho whined and bit his lip.

"literally the definition of spoiled," jisung laughed.

"oh, forgot to mention that i wasn't overworked either. it took about an hour most days, far less than one would need to spend at a restaurant," the older concluded and added, when he saw jisung's visible confusion, "but i don't regret leaving."

"really? why?"

"because you said something to me. about having chosen the right major and i thought that i can't keep pulling the tiger's tail trying to blow up my chances of being successful."

"oh, i didn't mean that you sh-

"i know. but that's just how i read it. and you're right. it's ridiculous. i'll find a way to get back on track. it's just been a sleepless night though."

"sorry to hear it."

"no need. i'll be okay. don't worry," minho smiled and took his head in his hands tiredly, "i was planning to end my office hours here but if you have something you'd like to ask me or.."

"oh, no, no. just came to see you..," jisung admitted and lifted a pair of eyes to the other. his condition was pitiable, "if there's something i can do..?"

"hmm, i don't think so," the teacher replied, stroking his chin, "but you can take another cookie. here," he handed him the whole package, "and thanks. seeing your cute face really made it better," he fixed his glasses and winked.

"uh, um.. th-thank you," jisung struggled to speak and took the cookies gingerly. he took a deep breath and remembered that he had promised himself to make things happen instead of waiting for them. he looked around and when he made sure that nobody was there, he leaned in and pecked minho's lips with his own gently.

the older responded to the kiss and ultimately took jisung's hand in his and shoved his hand into his pocket for the key to the office.