remember me (like that coco song)

This one shot is inspired by the larry stylinson fanfic "hoping this cold blue water scrubs me clean and spits me out again." you can find it on wattpad or ao3 :)

tw: mention of medicine/pills, cancer and depression. do not read if you find these subjects triggering.

Hogwarts, circa December 1997.

Third person POV:

Y/N sank to the floor, tears streaming down her face as Hermione quietly sobbed. She bent down to stroke her lover's back, trying to comfort her.

Final stage brain cancer. Six months left to live if Y/N was lucky enough to survive that long, and survive wasn't the best option either. The pain was only going to get worse and, in a few weeks, not even Madam Pomfrey's strongest medicine would soothe her. Her days will consist of eating and sleeping... well, if the pain doesn't keep her from falling asleep.

The hardest pill to swallow was that Y/N would slowly start to forget things. From long term memory; childhood, people from her past, to short term memory such as knowing what she was doing thirty seconds ago, soon she'd forget everything.

Forgetting her everything was a scary thought. She couldn't imagine forgetting Hermione.

Madam Pomfrey looked at the couple sadly, glossy eyes that showed she was restraining herself from crying too.

It first started three months ago. The couple's last year at Hogwarts was promising, and they couldn't wait to graduate and start thinking of building a future together. Hermione even gave her girlfriend a promise ring on her birthday, July 31st. Really, nothing could stop this young flourishing couple.

Nothing except this.

At the start of the school year, Y/N was victim of frequents throbbing headaches, usually happening in the afternoons after class. It wasn't really worrying for Y/N, though, as she thought it was just the fact getting back to a normal routine with school was tiring, and that eventually it would've gone away.

It wouldn't go away she would soon find out.

In October, the headaches weren't going anywhere. Actually, they were far more frequent, and far more painful too. So much painful Y/N had to miss school regularly, not even able to get out of bed. At first, Y/N was able to caught up in the work, with the help of Hermione of course, but as weeks went on, the headaches made it impossible to do any work, and teachers were getting worried about their student's health.

It was McGonagall who, in November, suggested— no, insisted that Y/N was to seek medical care. She didn't budge when Y/N barged into her office a week later, fuming, saying she was completely fine, because, to her, she really was. Professor McGonagall knew Y/N wasn't the type to react that way, yelling, throwing things at the walls. She knew something was going on. When she called Hermione to her office so she could hopefully snap Y/N back to reality, it was a shock to the girl, seeing the girl she loved in such a state. Her Y/N was hurting, you could see the pain in her eyes. She just wanted the pain to go away. Her headaches were making her go mad, and Hermione couldn't do anything.

Y/N agreed that night to go see Madam Pomfrey.

"What are we going to do?" Y/N asked to Hermione, tears brimming her eyes.

She was inconsolable, the mourning of a life she had always dreamed of crushing her heart and shattering it into tiny pieces. Life was cruel. Life is cruel.

Hermione brought up a hand to wipe away the tears on Y/N's face. "I don't know," she admitted, and she realized Y/N wasn't the only one crying by the shakiness of her voice. "But I'll be there for you until the very end."