christmas miracle (y/n weasley)

This Christmas one-shot is happening one year after the war. Damn, I know Christmas is over since like a long time, but who cares?

TW: this one shot is VERY sad

Third person POV:

Christmas at the burrow was something Y/N always loved. Decorating the gigantic Christmas tree that sat in the living room, the Christmas lights illuminating the wheat fields covered in snow, her mum's— Molly— Christmas dinner, don't forget the twins' pranks... In short, everything was magical. Literally magical.

But not this year.

Y/N was awoken by her girlfriend drawing patterns on her back. The snow reflecting the sun attacked Y/N's eyes, and she closed them immediately. With a groan, she turned around and locked eyes with her favourite chocolate ones.

Hermione seemed to be perfectly awake, meaning she let Y/N sleep in for once. It didn't really bother Y/N to be woken up early by Hermione, but today, she was thankful Hermione let her get the sleep she needed. Especially since she didn't really sleep well.

Seven months had passed since the war, seven months in which Y/N spent practically every night crying in her bed until, hopefully, tiredness would take over. Since the death of her older brother, Fred, it had been really hard for her.

Days were easier, though, as Y/N had Hermione's company that, while she adored spending time with her, used it mainly as a distraction.

Nights, however, were a nightmare. Oh, of course, Y/N kept herself together until Hermione would fall asleep, crumbling into pieces as soon as quiet snores came out of her lover's mouth. She didn't want Hermione to worry, because she knew she couldn't do anything about it. You can't bring anyone from the dead, even with magic. So there wasn't any use for her to cry in Hermione's arms.

Hermione knew, of course. She was awake most of the time, faking she was asleep. Her heart shattered at the sound of Y/N's restrained sobs of pain. She couldn't do anything except pretend she didn't hear them.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty," Hermione cooed, bringing her hand to caress Y/N's cheek with the pad of her thumb. Hesitant, she added, "It's Christmas Eve today."

Y/N was hoping Hermione didn't see her eyes get glossy. It was stupid, really, how this sentence she used to scream at the top of her lungs each year was something that now made her cry. I guess spending your first Christmas without your brother has an effect on someone.

"Morning," Y/N croaked, trying her best to hold her cry in.

Hermione smiled sadly. She knew. She knew about the sleepless nights, the crying on the bathroom floor, the days spent in Fred's room, wondering why such an angel had to fly away. She knew that Y/N wanted to cry so bad right now. Of course, she knew.

"Your mum made some hot cocoa and some pancakes," Hermione tried, though she already knew Y/N wouldn't come down to eat.

"Maybe later," she frowned. It was hard to see Hermione this worried, but she couldn't help it.

"I could bring you breakfast. Have breakfast in bed, just the two of us," she suggested.

Y/N needed to eat. It had been days since she ate a proper meal, and Hermione was getting worried.

"I'm not really hungry," Y/N mumbled, playing with the hem of Hermione's shirt.

Hermione sighed. "Alright, but I want you to promise me you'll come eat lunch with me later."

Y/N looked down, blinking away the tears. No, no please not downstairs, because there, it was reality. Fred wasn't there, wasn't present. In her room, Y/N could pretend he was. She could slip her pillow into one of his favourite sweaters and pretend she cuddled with him one last time.