37.

Excuse any mistakes!
Zae Berlinger

Excuse any mistakes!Zae Berlinger

The silence was loud. I could hear my right ear constantly ringing from it. My fingers repeatedly tapped on the table, distracting me from the big brown doe eyes, piercing the side of my face. I tilted my head to the left for her to say something. My nerves were through the roof. Luna's chuckles filled the air as she checked on the food in the oven.

"I don't know about you." Lavender squinted her eyes. Luna snorts quietly, leaving me to suppress my laugh. The dimple in her left cheek deepened as her mouth formed into a frown. She rattles off a long sentence that I couldn't quite understand.

"Bubbies, be nice."

"You like my mommy?" Her hand squished against her cheek. The curls in her hair bounced, covering the side of her face.

I smiled. "Very much."

"Mommy deserves to be happy like Tiana. But you can't kiss her because then you'll turn her into a frog and they are sliiimy." I chuckled at how the conversation took a turn.

"But I'm not a frog."

"You kinda look like one." She made a croaking sound before laughing. I joined, shaking my head. "Do you have a job?"

"I'm a photographer."

"P-Photographer? I don't know what that is."

"I take pictures for people.

"That's it?" I nodded. We continued to converse for over an hour. Most of the time, she barely let me get a word out. She went on about her friends, stuffed bears, and favorite hobbies. Whatever she thought, she said it without hesitation. Luna had a character on her hands. "I like your hair. It looks like my daddy's."

"Thank you."

"It looks better than his, but you can't tell him I said that." She leaned over, putting her pinky up. I winked in agreement, attaching my finger to hers.

"Food is ready!" Luna spoke out of breath. I glanced over as she rubbed her forehead. She's been doing it since she started cooking. Luna would frown every so often. I was trying not to panic because I was talking with her daughter, but she was making me worried.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just a slight headache. I'll be fine"

"Are you sure? How about you sit down and I'll grab the plates." I didn't give her a chance to debate. Grasping her shoulders, I made her take a seat. She rolled her eyes but complied. My stomach growled at the sight. Luna cooked smoked salmon, mashed potatoes with lobster, and sautéed green beans.

Dinner surprisingly went well. I didn't expect to be scared of a six-year-old. Time flew by quickly with great conversation. I offered to clean up once we were all finished.