083. grieving and manipulating

They're having a little celebration in honor of Mary's life, having invited the other hunters from the apocalypse world. They're holding it in the war room and Larissa is the only one not there, taking care of Liam.

"We know it wasn't easy for some of you to get here, and we thank you." Dean tells everybody. Him, Sam, and Cas are standing at the top of the steps. Athena is hugging her dad's arm while she leans against him, not huge on being around so many people she's not super familiar with.

"We, uh-- we gave her a hunter's send off a few days ago. But we know that her family went beyond just us. Some of you hunted alongside her. Some of you fought Michael with her in the other world. You know, we lost our mom once before. But we got a second chance with her. And we got to know her not just as "mom," but as someone who was tough and strong. Stubborn as hell."

"Someone who had opinions and wasn't shy to use them. She could handle a machete. She could handle a vampire. She could handle our old man. She couldn't cook worth a damn. Mom, you weren't here long enough. But we're so glad for the time that we had. Goodbye, mom."

"To Mary." The group choruses. A hatchet sails through the air, sticking into a guy's head, his body falling to the floor. Athena shrieks and Sam immediately ditches the bottle of beer and picks her up, holding her close.

Everybody turns to see Bobby was the one to throw the hatchet.

~ ~ ~

"Make sure I get my hatchet back." Bobby tells the hunter who is dragging the wraith out of the room. It's only him, Cas, Sam, Athena, Larissa who is holding Liam, and another hunter in the war room.

"Damn wraith. Knew him from a nest your mom and I busted up on our last hunt. Probably here to gloat. The bastard." Bobby sneers.

"Thanks for coming." Sam tells a hunter before walking over to where Cas and Bobby are standing. He stands by Larissa's seat while she makes faces at Liam and quietly coos to him.

"A hunter's memorial, complete with monster. Mary would have appreciated that." Cas says.

"Now that you mention it, yeah." Bobby says. "How are you?" Bobby asks Sam.

"Hey, you know... it's tough. It's... complicated." Sam says.

"And the other one?" He nods to Dean who is talking to a hunter.

"Yeah, Dean... he seems to be doing okay. Hard to say." Sam says.

"Yeah. Maybe he's like me. Bein' teary in public's not my style." Bobby says.

"Hey." Sam gets his brother's attention as Dean picks up the pictures they laid out on the map table. "Uh, most everybody's headed out, but Bobby's gonna stick around. I thought maybe we could open that scotch Ketch left and hang out, talk about mom."

"Talk about mom?" Dean asks.

"Yeah." Sam nods.

"Isn't that what we've been doing?" Dean asks before walking out.

+++

Sam and Cas are sitting across from each other at the table. Athena is on Sam's lap and Larissa is sitting next to them and still holding Liam. Bobby walks over to the table, giving Sam a beer.

"Thanks." Sam tells him.

"Memory lane?" Bobby asks, looking at the picture of Mary, toddler Dean, and baby Sam.

"Yeah. I mean, Dean couldn't have been but four years old. I wasn't even six months." Sam says.

"You know, at one time, you boys were good lookin'." Bobby teases.