046. probation

"This guy was a known drug dealer with enemies." Sam says as Larissa walks into the room where he and Dean are. "His throat wasn't ripped out. It was slit with a knife. I'm not really sure this is our kind of thing."

"We don't know that. His blood could've been drained." Dean says.

"It could've been?" Sam asks.

"You know what? You find us a case. Cause I need to hit something. Now." Dean says, sitting next to Sam.

"You wanna talk about it?" Sam asks.

"Not really. What was she thinkin', man?"

"I don't know. Maybe we should ask her." Sam suggests.

"What?" Dean and Larissa chorus.

"Look, I-I am pissed and-and frustrated and confused, too. But we've frozen her out for days." Sam says.

"Yeah, and I plan to freeze her out until I die." Larissa says.

"She lied to us, Sam." Dean says.

"I know." Sam says.

"For months." Dean adds.

"I know, but it's mom! I mean, whatever she was doing, she must've had a good reason." Sam says.

"Are you fucking joking right now?" Larissa asks.

"A good reason? A good reason for working with those ass clowns?" Dean asks.

"Look, I hear you guys, all right? But-- but at the end of the day, she's family." Sam says and Larissa rolls her eyes, scoffing. "We owe it to her to at least--"

"All right, you know what? Screw it. I need a drink." Dean says.

"You--" Sam sighs.

"No, I need drinks -- plural." Dean says, standing up, and Sam scoffs.

"I get that." Larissa mumbles.

"And this whole peacemaker shtick that you've been running, first with Cas, now with mom, it's getting old, man." Dean tells Sam.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sam asks.

"You're always playing the middle, Sam. For once, why don't you pick a side?" Dean suggests, storming out.

Sam scoffs, shaking his head as the door slams shut.

"Can you believe him?" Sam asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, I can." Larissa nods.

"What?" Sam asks.

"Okay, look, the whole peacemaker thing. I know, you don't wanna choose a side or fight or anything. I get that. But sometimes you do need to. I don't see how you would wanna fix this, Sam. They tortured us. They took our baby away. And your mom is with them now, and you just wanna forgive her? What, you gonna forgive Toni next?"

"No. No, of course not." Sam argues. "I just... look, I know you and my mom aren't exactly huge fans of each other." Larissa scoffs. "You won't tell me what happened in your fight. You won't tell me what either of you said or anything."

"Yeah. Because a small part of me still wants to keep the sliver of respect you have for your mom alive. Why? I don't know, she's a bitch. You deserve much better -- like Jody. Yet, here I am. I mean, at least I hope if I ever tell you what she did, that you would lose that respect. Cause if you didn't, then you're just a shitty husband."

"Well, what'd she say? What'd you say?" Sam asks.

"I'm not getting into this right now. Not with the risk of Athena coming in at any minute." Larissa says.