052. toddler ptsd

Dean is driving and Sam is in the passenger seat while the others are in the back. Jack and Athena are both asleep and Larissa is drifting in and out.

"Hey, we still got probably 12 hours until we're home. You want me to drive?" Sam asks.

"Do I ever want you to drive?" Dean asks.

"Look... losing mom and Cas, that's a lot to process, Dean. Especially on no sleep. And the kid--"

"The "kid"? Come on, man, you know how this plays out. Look, when we try to bend the rules, pretend that the bad guys aren't so bad or that things will get fixed, that's when people that we care about get hurt. And then we end up doing what we should've done in the first place, which is end the problem. So this time, let's start with the obvious. Soon as I find a way to take care of... it."

"Dean, the "problem" might be our only shot at saving mom."

"Mom's gone. There's no fixing that."

~ ~ ~

Dean is still driving screaming makes the four jolt up. They turn to Athena who is thrashing around in her car seat with tears streaming down her face as she screams out protests and for her mom.

"Hey, hey, baby. Baby?" Larissa gently holds Athena's arms down to stop her from flailing around too much.

"Baby? Thena. Athena." Sam calls, holding her legs down.

"No! Mommy!" Athena wails.

"Baby, I'm right. Mommy's right here. I'm right here." Larissa tries to get through to her. "Mommy's right here. I'm here."

Athena lets out another scream before jolting awake.

"No!" She gets her limbs out of her parents' hold and curls into herself.

"Hey, hey, baby, mama's right here." Larissa comforts, softly stroking Athena's hair. "I'm right here, baby. We're okay."

"Mama!" Athena sobs, reaching out for her mom. Larissa unbuckles Athena and holds her, letting the girl cling onto her like a koala as Larissa hugs her.

"It's okay, baby. I'm right here. I've got you. I'm okay. You're okay." Larissa softly coos. She and Sam share a worried look as Larissa continues to comfort their daughter.

"Mean man hurt you!" Athena sobs into her mom's shoulder.

"I know, baby. I know, but I'm okay now. I'm not going anywhere. I promise." Larissa assures.

+++

The four walk through the hallway of the motel and Larissa is holding Athena who still refuses to let go of her.

"This is a bad idea. We should've just kept driving." Dean says.

"Dude, you were hallucinating sheep on the road. We need a few hours." Sam says. They get to their room and go in.

"This is nice." Jack comments.

"Let's ward the rooms, get a bite, get a few hours of sleep, hit the road first thing." Sam says. He turns the TV on, an episode of Scooby-Doo playing, and Jack sits on the bed, watching it.

"It's... wonderful." Jack smiles.

"Wanna watch Scooby-Doo?" Larissa quietly asks her daughter.

"Mama." Athena shakes her head, wrapping her arms around Larissa's neck. Larissa rubs her back, softly placing a kiss on her head.

"Hey. No." Dean tells Jack, grabbing the remote. He watches the show for a few moments and chuckles. "No." He turns the TV off. "And you're on the couch, sport, all right. So why don't you go over there? Sit down and... here." Dean tosses Jack a Bible as he sits on the couch. "Read a book. We're out of here in a few hours."