080. monster in the woods

Start from the beginning

"Wildlife preserve is government property. We're the government." Dean says.

"Yeah, well, it is a large piece of land -- coyotes, rough terrain. We try to limit hikers to the trails, but some of them don't listen." Romero says.

"Okay, but the girl who died, she wasn't a hiker." Sam says.

"Do you know what happened to her?" Dean asks.

"Like I said, coyotes." Romero says.

"You know, do you mind if we take a look at the body?" Sam asks.

"Do I have a choice?" Romero asks.

"Not really." Dean says, the five leaving.

Romero leads them out and to the morgue. Larissa stays outside the room with Athena while the brothers study the body.

+++

"Kohonta." Sam says.

"Gesundheit." Dean says.

"No, not-- Kohonta. It's a-- it's a local Native American legend. I can't find much about it, but they're sort of... twisted monsters that roam the woods "driven to consume sweet mortal flesh."" Sam explains.

"You think this is our Hot Lips?" Dean asks.

"Could be. I mean, according to the lore, Kohonta get so starving, they spit up stomach acid." Sam says.

"Mm. Gross." Dean says.

"Yeah. If that is our monster, it's old... and... hungry." Sam says.

+++

They're at the crime scene after somebody else went missing last night and they're interviewing the person the victim was with. Larissa glances over at the Impala, seeing Athena still focused on the game she's playing on Larissa's phone.

"But did-- did they find him?" Sara asks.

"No, not yet." Dean says.

"Sara, what did you see out there?" Sam asks.

"There was this guy. I think it was a guy. He looked like he was covered in something. And... he was whistling. I ran, but Fitz, he..." Sara trails off.

"Can you tell us exactly where you were when this thing attacked you?" Sam asks.

"I think... a few miles past the old Parker cabin." She says.

"Parker?" Dean asks.

Romero pulls up, blaring his siren.

"Okay, wrap it up!" Romero calls, getting out.

"Sheriff, we've got a search party out there." The deputy says.

"Not anymore. You're bringing everybody in. Now." Romero orders.

"What's going on?" Dean asks.

"What does it look like? We're done here. I'm not wasting time and money hunting for a rabid coyote." Romero says.

"Okay, sheriff, this wasn't an animal attack." Sam says.

"Then what was it?" Romero asks.

"Look, if you want to pull your men out of there, that's fine. But we still need to get in there." Dean says.

"It's not happening. Look, I don't care if you guys are the FBI. Nobody goes in those woods without my say-so. Understood?"

"Mm-hmm." Dean nods and Sam hums.

"Good." Romero says.

"Well, we should probably do what he says." Dean says.

"Oh, yeah. Definitely." Sam says.