31

The procession of the citizens of Rohan left Edoras within an hour, and Alana rode the horse given to her by Eomer alongside her companions.

Gimli, whose horse was being led by Eowyn, was chortling. "It's true you don't see many Dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they're often mistaken for Dwarf men."

As Eowyn looked back at them, Aragorn whispered loudly, "It's the beards."

Alana chuckled under her breath at the hand motion he did.

"And this, in turn, has given rise to the belief that there are no Dwarf women. And that dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground!" Gimli continued, unknowing of Aragorn's teasing.

Eowyn laughed gaily, and Alana smiled widely watching her. The White Lady of Rohan certainly resembled her younger self very much, which made Alana glad to see her smile.

Legolas looked over at Alana, her current happiness obvious. "You care much for Lady Eowyn."

Alana smiled back at him. "It is like looking at a mirror into the past. She is so similar to the way I used to be, before I had experienced the world. Even now, we are similar. It makes me glad to see her so carefree."

Legolas nodded. "You will be carefree one day too, I will make sure of it."

Alana's lips quirked and she manoeuvred her horse closer to his so she could grab his hand for a moment, before returning to holding the reins. "I look forward to it."

After another hour of riding, the sun began to set, and the villagers made a temporary camp with limited tents and food.

From afar, Alana saw Eowyn give Aragorn some soup, which he graciously ate, despite its taste, based on how he poured it out while she was not looking. Alana found the giddy smile on Eowyn's face bittersweet.

"Eowyn will be heartbroken when she learns Aragorn loves another." Alana commented absentmindedly.

"She cares for him?" Legolas asked confusedly. "Has she told you?"

Alana chuckled, shaking her head as Legolas sat beside her on the patch of soft grass she'd found. "It is obvious, is it not?"

Legolas shook his head as he grabbed her hand. "I had not noticed."

"Perhaps I simply pay more attention to her than you do." Alana commented, leaning her head on Legolas's shoulder.

"I don't see why I would want to pay attention to any woman who is not you." Legolas professed. 

Alana smiled giddily. "How romantic." Alana said in a teasing voice, though she preened at the declaration. Legolas rubbed the back of her hand with his thumb in return.

As they sat in comfortable silence, a woman walked over with Freda and Eothain, the children that had escaped the burning of the Westfold.

"Are you Lady Alana?" The woman asked. Alana nodded, sitting up straight with a polite smile. "My apologies for disturbing you and your husband, but Freda has been asking for you to tell her a story before bed."

At the word 'husband', Alana felt her cheeks burn red and was grateful for the darkness of dusk concealing it. Legolas, meanwhile, had a slight smirk on his face, having seen her blush, as he waited for Alana's answer. 

"Oh, of course, I would love to tell Freda a story!" Alana exclaimed, patting the ground next to her for Freda to sit.

"I have to set up our tent for the night, if you would excuse me." The woman said, taking her leave while Freda scooted closer to Alana.