15

By the time they reached Lothlorien, Alana was barely conscious, only still awake due to Legolas forcing conversation so she would not lose consciousness.

She did not hear, or understand, Gimli's insults to her grandmother, nor did she notice when they were surrounded by elves she had known since childhood, forbidding their entry. 

Even as she was passed from Legolas's arms to her friend Haldir's, she was too far gone to realize.

"What happened?"

"Orcs in Moria. She took those arrows for me." Legolas explained briefly, his eyes shining with guilt and worry.

Haldir nodded, knowing it was typical of her personality to do such a thing, and, after receiving orders from Galadriel, led them through the trees to Caras Galadhon, separating to take Alana to the healers as quickly as she could, with Legolas's eyes following them.

Alana was laid on a bed in the healing wing and immediately the main healer, only the best treatment was to be given to the princess, began tending to her. The arrows were fully removed from her body and elven magic was used to speed the process of her recovery.

During her time of rest, her sleep was not restful at all. She dreamt repeatedly of Gandalf falling to his doom and, worse somehow, the vision she'd had of Legolas's death, graphic and bloody and heartwrenching.

Before dusk, Alana finally awoke, glancing around the room terrified. "Where am I? Where is Legolas?"

The healer placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, telling her to relax. "You are home, my lady. The Fellowship is safe here, do not worry yourself."

Alana took some deep breaths, focusing herself on not letting the anxiety that clouded her mind take over her.

"May I see them?" Alana asked desperately.

The healer frowned. "You are not well yet, you should rest some more first."

"I cannot rest without seeing them." Alana insisted, the anxiety clawing at her heart.

The healer sighed. "Very well. I will send a maid to help you bathe and dress, and your wounds will be redressed, then you may see them."

Alana nodded, thanking him profusely for she knew he was bending her treatment plan significantly.

The maid entered shortly and helped her to the baths on the ground level, removing her dirty, blood-stained clothes and helping her lower herself into the hot water.

Using a gentle sponge, Alana cleaned herself and tried to relax as best she could, but the images of her vision tormented her too much.

She did not stay in the water long and a female healer entered to redress her wounds after she was dry. Once the healer was finished, the maid helped Alana into light, pale green gown that was loose around the shoulders to ease the pressure on her wound, though her bandages were very visible.

The maid who had helped her dress then offered her arm for Alana to lean on as they made their way over to where the Fellowship was waiting.

Boromir was the first to notice her and sent her a relieved smile and wave, which brought the others' attention to her as well. She let out a breath of relief upon seeing Legolas alive, though she knew he was. Pippin and Merry eagerly jumped up and hugged her, rather too abruptly as her thigh throbbed with the contact, but she smiled happily down at them before anxiously looking over the rest of the group. 

Gimli gave a hearty, "I'm glad you're better, lass." knowing he was too rough to hug her in her current state. Aragorn gave her good shoulder a firm squeeze, his eyes expressing his relief.

Legolas was the last to approach her, his face distraught with guilt, grief and relief, and with infinite gentleness, wrapped one arm around her waist and the other cradled her head, embracing her just as he had on Caradhras during the avalanche.

Eyes pricking with tears, Alana wrapped her good arm around his neck firmly. "I am so glad you are alive. That vision has haunted my dreams."

Legolas scoffed, though tears could be heard in his voice, which shocked the whole group. "Do not worry about me right now, Alana. You are the one who is injured, who has terrified me once again."

Alana chuckled. "I suppose it is always you who has to carry me to safety." Alana pulled him closer, though his grip remained gentle for fear of hurting her. "Thank you."

The rest of the Fellowship was awkwardly looking elsewhere, finding the scene too intimate to watch, while the maid had disappeared to return to her duties. 

They pulled away some moments later and Legolas aided her to sit down with the rest of the Fellowship.

"Have you already seen Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel?" Aragorn wondered.

"No, I came straight here when I woke. My grandparents will come to me when they have the time." Alana replied quietly, her eyes to the sky.

"Grandparents?!" The hobbits exclaimed.

Alana smiled at them. "Yes, my mother was their second daughter."

"Was?" Pippin asked.

Alana nodded sadly. "She died some time ago."

As they sat in silence, the voices of singing elves was heard through the trees and Alana felt tears prick at her eyes again.

"A lament for Gandalf." Legolas explained pensively to the hobbits.

"What do they say about him?" Merry asked.

Alana smiled weakly through her tears.

"I have not the heart to tell you. For me the grief is still too near." Legolas said, glancing worriedly at Alana.

Without realizing, Alana quietly began to sing along, head tilted to the sky and eyes closed, her voice filled with such raw emotion as to move the hobbits to tears.

Gradually, Alana's voice grew louder, the tremor in certain words only adding to the beauty of her singing, and the others in the Fellowship could only stare at her, holding back their own emotions at the loss of Gandalf.

Shockingly, Boromir was the one to place a hand on Alana's shoulder, giving her a look of understanding which she managed to smile back at. He had certainly become an unlikely friend on this journey, and she was glad for it.

Legolas noted the contact and shared look with some discomfort, though he knew it illogical of him to feel in any way threatened by the man. 

When the moon passed its peak, Alana stood to return to the hospital wing and, as Boromir went to offer to accompany her, Legolas beat him to it, earning an amused glance from the other members of the Fellowship.

Slipping her arm through his for support, Alana and Legolas made their way through the trees to the healing wing, giving each other a hesitant goodnight.