26

As Alana's sobs slowed to a stop, she let her hands fall from Legolas's chest, took a step backwards, a hand resting on her horse to keep herself steady, and finally looked around to take in her companions, once more by her side. Then, she noticed one missing.

"Where's Boromir?" 

Their faces fell and Alana's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Alana..." Aragorn started, before Alana's gasp cut him off.

"Oh, by the Valar, the illusion hasn't worn off yet! He's stuck there, then!" Pulling together any traces of magic in her body, she felt the low thrum of her distant spell, somehow having lasted over three days. Immediately, she undid it, pulling apart the strings of illusion and magic hiding Boromir from the world. Her hands shook, the markings becoming deeper, more visible as her eyes turned pitch black once more. 

Legolas reached for her as she swayed on her feet. 

"I do believe that's the last of Lorien's spirits, I won't be able to conjure such a powerful illusion again. Anyhow, Boromir will join us in Rohan so long as he survives the journey." Alana mumbled, blinking without pause to regain her normal sight. The marks on her fingertips started to fade visibly, and her eyes had returned to her normal, forest green, with no traces of the previous black.

Suddenly, Alana felt vulnerable, the power that had been coursing through her weak body disappearing, and leaving her exhausted and unable to think straight. Legolas's arm held her up as she leaned onto his shoulder, no longer trying to rely only on herself.

None of the three men had it in them to tell her then that they were sure Boromir was dead, that they'd carried his dead body. All hoped that perhaps, perhaps, she was right, perhaps she had somehow saved him and all they'd seen and felt was the most realistic illusion they'd ever heard of.

After a moment's pause, Aragorn said, "We must go find the hobbits."

Eomer gave them two more horses as well as the one Alana had been riding. Legolas turned to face Alana, still holding her up, and his free hand caressed the side of her face.

"Are you alright to ride alone, meleth nin?" Legolas asked in Elvish.

Alana nodded, her hand reaching up to hold his. "It will be good for me to clear my mind."

Legolas held her closer, the worry in his eyes clear. "You need not always appear strong. Let me take care of you."

Alana sighed. "We are still on a quest.  We cannot falter now. When we reach Edoras, I will take a break. Deal?"

Reluctantly nodding, Legolas helped her onto her horse, and immediately felt his worry intensify as soon as she was out of his arms. He forced his usual, unemotional expression and went to mount his own horse, with Gimli riding behind him. Alana watched the change in his expression gratefully, it was easier to be strong without feeling guilty about worrying him, even if she knew it was an act.

The Riders of Rohan bade them goodbye, then rode off while the Fellowship turned towards the Forest. Riding ahead, Aragorn took the lead, while Legolas moved his horse to the back to make sure he could keep an eye on Alana.

Alana, unlike when she was riding with Eomer's soldiers, kept her eyes open and her hands tight on the reins. When they arrived at the burning pile of orc corpses though, she felt her hands start to shake, but she forced them to steady as she dismounted her horse. Though she felt disgust filling her body, she couldn't help but walk over to where it had happened. She could still see the mark of flattened grass her body had left on the ground. Frustratedly, Alana kicked at the grass until it was indiscernible from the rest of the area. 

Further away, she heard Aragorn yell out in frustration from near the fire. Jumping at the sound, Alana hurried back, asking, "What has happened?"

"We failed them." Gimli replied sadly, holding up one of the hobbits' charred belts.

Alana frowned. "I don't remember them losing their belts... Then again, I was unconscious for most of it." A flash of terror made her stop as she glanced at the horrid face of dead orc, but she forced herself to swallow it down. "I sent them into the woods though, and cut their bonds. I lost track of them after that."

Aragorn paused, analyzing the ground around them and in the direction Alana had been earlier, finally finding the hobbits' cut bonds.

"A hobbit lay here, and the other. Alana was next to them. Their bonds were cut." Aragorn started following tracks the others couldn't see. "They ran over here. They were followed. The tracks lead away from the battle..."

Alana sighed in relief. "So they at least made it into the forest. I am glad."

"You do not see them?" Aragorn asked, turning to face the woman.

Alana shook her head in response. "All my powers were used up to hide Boromir. It knocked me out for three days, and it will be some time before they return."

Aragorn nodded hesitantly, hoping beyond hope that she had succeeded. Without further hesitation, the four made their way into Fangorn, leaving their horses behind.

As they passed through the trees, Gimli swiped a finger against a dark patch on a leaf and put it in his mouth, immediately spitting it out. "Ugh, orc blood!"

Alana gave him a confused, disgusted look. "Don't eat strange things, Gimli."

Aragorn and Legolas paid him no mind, looking around the forest warily. 

"This forest is old. Very old. Full of memory... and anger." Legolas spoke in a quiet voice.

Groans echoed throughout the forest, and Gimli lifted his axe fearfully.

"Gimli!" Aragorn hissed. Gimli looked up confusedly, and Aragorn made a gesture. "Lower your axe!"

"Oh!" As his weapon lowered, the trees quieted.

Legolas focused his eyes sharply in one direction. "Aragorn, something is coming."

Alana and Aragorn immediately looked in the same direction, and as Alana saw what he was looking at, she felt a wave of confusion fill her.

"What is it?" Aragorn asked.

"The White Wizard approaches." Legolas warned.

"There is something different about him, he is not the same as I have always known him." Alana puzzled, wondering if Saruman had changed so much so quickly as to be unrecognizable.

"Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us." Aragorn stated, pulling out his sword.

The others pulled out their own weapons, and Legolas made sure to step in front of Alana, blocking her from any attacks.

As the White Wizard approached, the four stirred uneasily. Once he was within reach, they turned to attack, but Gimli's axe and Legolas's arrows were deflected, and Aragorn and Alana's blades burned red hot in their hands, making them drop them.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits." The wizard said.

"Where are they?" Aragorn demanded.

"They passed this way the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?" The man replied. Alana furrowed her eyes in confusion, trying to see past the blinding white light encompassing him.

"Who are you? Show yourself!" Aragorn yelled.

The light dimmed, and Alana felt herself smile, tears coming to her eyes. Gandalf had returned.