30

Alana rushed over to Gandalf, taking the young girl from his arms carefully, while Eowyn tended to the young boy.

The two women sat together across from the Fellowship with the children, though the girl was still unconscious.

"What happened, Eothain?" Eowyn asked the boy gently. Alana looked up from the girl to listen to the boy's answer.

"Wildmen. There was no warning, we had no weapons." The boy explained gravely, his voice wavering despite his obvious attempts to stay strong. "Our mother sent us ahead with our horse. I do not know where she is now."

The two women exchanged glances, and the little girl, Freda, stirred awake in Alana's arms.

"Where's mama?" She whimpered.

Alana hushed her gently, holding her closer.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children." Gandalf said, looking at Theoden. "You must fight."

"You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Eomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king." Aragorn added.

Knowing the conversation was too dark for the children to listen to, Alana began to tell the children a story, which Eowyn helped with by adding appropriate reactions at the climactic parts of the tale. Soon after the first story had ended, Theoden had made his decision. They would make for Helm's Deep.

Eowyn took Freda from Alana's arms, though the child reached out for her, saying, "There is a widow who will gladly take the children for the journey. Do not worry about them."

Alana nodded relievedly as she stood to follow her companions out of the hall. Hurrying to Legolas's side, she took his hand in her own, taking comfort in its warmth.

Gimli scoffed. "Helm's Deep! They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king." The dwarf rolled his eyes, his hands clenching as if he wanted to swing his axe.

"He's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past." Aragorn replied calmly as they entered the stables.

"There is no way out of that ravine. Theoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre. Theoden has a strong will but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defences HAVE to hold." Gandalf emphasized.

"They will hold." Aragorn promised. Alana smiled at the conviction in his words, though she doubted they would remain true.

Gandalf turned to Shadowfax and stroked his nose. "The Grey Pilgrim... that's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now I have no time. With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."

As the men stepped back, Alana approached Gandalf, giving him a swift hug. 

"Alana..." At this moment, Gandalf looked older than she had ever seen him. "Please, consider remaining with the women and children for this battle."

Alana recoiled in shock, her eyebrows furrowed. "Pardon me?"

Gandalf rubbed her head affectionately. "I will not demand you not fight, I know you are too stubborn to do what others tell you unless it is what you decide for yourself. But, please, consider it. It may be the action of greatest benefit."

Alana frowned, holding herself back from an angry retort. "I do not think I have it in me to stay behind. I cannot sit still while others fight."

Gandalf nodded tiredly, as if he had been expecting that answer. "Very well."

Aragorn opened the stable doors, and within seconds, Gandalf was gone.

"We should collect our belongings." Aragorn instructed, a hand resting on his sword hilt as if he expected an attack at any moment.

The others nodded, and they walked back through Meduseld towards their rooms. As they passed the dining hall, Legolas turned towards Alana's room, nodding to the others as he accompanied her.

"You need not accompany me." Alana swung their connected arms as they walked.

"I wish to." Legolas countered, with a moment's hesitation. "I also want to ask..."

"Hmm?" Alana looked up at him with a small smile on her face.

"Do you plan to... consider Gandalf's request?" Legolas asked, his tone betraying his worry.

Alana stopped, her small falling. "You wish for me not to fight."

Legolas winced at her clipped tone, knowing he was treading unstable waters. "I do not wish for you to be hurt."

"I can fight for myself." Alana snapped, her expression defensive.

Legolas put his hands on her shoulders, looking her directly in the eye. "You flinched at Aragorn simply reaching out to you today, a man you consider your brother. You freeze whenever others get near you unexpectedly. Under normal circumstances, I know you are a capable warrior, but you are hurt and you do not have your powers to protect you either. Can you promise you won't freeze on the battlefield? When an orc is attacking you and you see its face and its hands, will you be able to fight?" As Legolas spoke, his desperation leaked into his voice and his grip on her shoulders tightened.

"I... I could never freeze on the battlefield." But she had hesitated. 

Legolas's hands moved to cup her face as his frantic eyes searched her face, without finding the resolve he had hoped for. "I am begging you, Alana..." Legolas implored. "Please, be sure of that before the battle begins. I cannot bear your death, I have already nearly lost you once, and I could not save you. Please, if you do not know whether you can fight, stay back. Save yourself and me."

Alana stared at him wide-eyed as tears threatened to spill from her eyes. "If I can do something to help..."

"I guarantee you can help the women and children in the caves, and be a last resort for them should we all fall. But if you cannot fight, you won't be any help, you will only be holding those around you back." Legolas countered. Alana stayed quiet for a moment, her eyes vulnerable and longing. Legolas pulled her into his arms, holding her against him tightly. "Please, just be sure."

Wrapping her arms around him, Alana nodded reluctantly, though in her mind, flashes of the orcs kept her from saying no. "I'll think about it. I promise."

Legolas breathed a sigh of relief, tightening his arms around her. "Thank you, meleth nin."