6

Alana pointedly avoided eye contact with Legolas, feeling as though she had been lectured by a parent. Legolas bore a certain smile on his face that, in her peripherals, made Alana squirm uncomfortably. There was something wrong about having the prince smile at her.

Finally, he began to stand and she knew she couldn't delay any longer. 

"Hannon le, Legolas. For bringing me here." Alana said quietly. The smile on Legolas's face grew warmer.

"You're welcome, my lady."

After a second's pause, Alana asked, "Did you really wait here the entire time until I woke up?"

Looking at him, she saw his earnest nod and sighed in response. "You have treated me very well then in spite of my attitude towards you. I suppose I owe you great deal."

Legolas shook his head. "Do not worry about such a thing. I am glad to have been able to arrive on time."

Alana quirked a brow at him, frowning. "Well, I don't particularly like feeling as though I owe you one, so please do tell me how I can repay you."

Legolas contemplated for a second, though he already knew. "Your forgiveness is all I can ask, my lady."

Alana froze. She had known this would come soon, for she could not hold such a grudge forever, especially after he had saved her, not to mention the fifty-some years that had already passed.

Legolas's smile fell slightly and a spark of pain entered his eyes, surprising Alana. She did not understand why the Prince of Mirkwood might care about her opinion of him. 

"I suppose I will do my best. It is time I let go of this childish grudge." She then remembered her visions during her sickness. "Besides, we shall be spending a good deal of time together soon, though under quite negative circumstances, so being confrontational with you would be very unhelpful."

Legolas's expression relaxed again at her response, though her second comment caused a good deal of confusion.

"You will see what I mean by that in a few days time, at the Council of Elrond." Alana clarified and Legolas nodded, though his confusion remained evident.

For some moments more, they sat in silence together, then Alana sat up fully.

"Has Elrond said I am allowed to walk, or must I remain bedridden?" Alana asked, twiddling with her hands as she suddenly felt restless sitting still.

Legolas regarded her for a few seconds before responding. "Lord Elrond said you may leave your room, but should try to rest as much as possible. You are still recovering."

Alana nodded. "Very well, then." She started to push herself out of the bed, the gown she was wearing slipping up to show her calves. Legolas looked away with his ears burning pink, though Alana did not notice as she stood up fully. Now sure she was covered properly, Legolas looked over at her again.

"Would you like me to send for a maid so you may wear something more suitable, or are you comfortable as is?"

Alana looked down at herself, only just realizing her clothing and what some may consider a lack of decency, in front of the prince of Mirkwood no less. 

"Oh. Perhaps a maid would be best. I had not even realized." Alana commented, still looking down at herself.

Legolas nodded then and hurried out of the room, eartips still pink. Soon afterwards, a young she elf entered the room, holding one of Alana's gowns, a beautiful green one to match her eyes, and helped Alana dress herself, taking care around her left arm so as to not aggravate it. 

Once finished, the maid left and Alana followed soon afterwards, exiting the room on shaky legs to find Legolas had waited.

"You needn't wait." Alana said, still uncomfortable in the idea that she had to forgive him, though she knew it was long overdue.

"It would not be right to have you wander alone in your current state, lest you should feel ill." 

Alana opened her mouth to argue, the usual spark of annoyance that came with being around Legolas flaring up, but she swallowed it down, forcing herself to realize he was, in fact, being a gentleman and not underestimating her. "Thank you, my lord."

Legolas hesitantly offered his right arm should she want the support and Alana stared at it for a few seconds. Glancing at her own sore left arm, Alana ignored the proffered arm and moved around to Legolas's other side, taking his left arm in her right one.

"My left arm is too sore to put any weight on." She explained, looking straight ahead in embarrassment and missing Legolas's shocked expression.

"My mistake, my lady."

The two began their walk through the halls of Imladris and Alana found herself grateful Legolas had offered to walk with her for she quickly got tired and needed to lean on him more.

They made their way to the library and Legolas helped her to reach the book she had trouble reaching, being tall even for elf standards, while she was below average due to her father's less than elven height. 

He helped her onto one of the sofas and settled himself in one opposite her, picking his own reading material. 

Sitting calmly in the library, the two read in peace for some hours, with Alana often shooting sceptical looks at the elf over her book, but stopping flusteredly when he amusedly caught one of her glances.

Eventually, the door to the library opened, and in stepped a face Alana had deeply longed to see.

"Gandalf!" Alana exclaimed, standing up swiftly and trying to hug him, only to trip and be caught by Legolas, who was laughing at her. She gave him a deadly glare, before continuing her journey to hug Gandalf. "I was so worried, your future was hidden from me."

Gandalf patted her back gently, eyes twinkling. "I am alright, my dear Alana."

"You must tell me what happened, Gandalf. Aragorn said Saruman..." Alana trailed off.

Gandalf smiled at her before turning to Legolas who nodded at him. "I will make sure she makes it back to her room safely, Legolas."

Legolas put his book away and made his way out of the library without another word, sending Alana a—shockingly—reassuring smile. Alana wasn't sure she liked not being angry with him, it was too confusing.