17. What She Needs

WANDA's POV

One week later and Luna's the exact same as she has been. She's nothing but a lifeless body. Every day is changeless. I go to say hello to her, she ignores me, I bring her up food, she leaves it, I try to cuddle her, she pushes me away. It's scary, to say the least. I don't know how to manage this situation, I don't know what she needs.

"Hi, Lulu," I say softly after entering her room. There's no use in knocking anymore, she never answers. But I'm still going to try to talk to her, I don't give up that easy.

I'm stubborn, but I'm not as stubborn as someone else I know. Which is why I've confided in Natasha for help with this  particular dilemma.

NATASHA's POV

I knew when Wanda called me for help with the detka that it had gotten bad. She was keeping me updated on Luna's condition and I told her that I would always come down for backup. Although, I never actually thought it would get to this stage. Wanda's usually quite a persuasive person and given that she's made lots of progress with Luna, I'd have thought this would have worked in her favor. But Wanda did the right thing in bringing in the big gun, I've got this.

"Go wait downstairs, I'll get you in a bit," I whisper to Wanda. She gives me one last worried glance before walking out of the room and going downstairs, shutting Luna's door on the way.

"Hey, little witch," I greet her, but am very quickly met with a strong burst of emotion being released.

"DON'T CALL ME THAT!"

Clearly, the name irked her, I've never seen such a strong reaction from her before. And if that's the first thing she's said in a week, it was obviously provoking enough that I know not to use it again.

Just then, Wanda runs back into the room as Luna returns to her cave, tucking her head back under her blanket.

"What happened?!" my best friend asks me, panicked.

"It's okay. I just called her 'little witch' and she blew up on me," I answer, occasionally looking over at the young girl in bed.

"Nat... Strucker used to call her that back when she was with them," she informs me, also staring at her daughter so broken under the sheets.

"Oh. I-I didn't-"

"It's okay. You didn't know. I'll go back down," Wanda tells me, looking exhausted herself. She's definitely worn herself out trying to figure out a way to help Luna.

When it's just me and the seventeen year old left again, I move closer and take a seat on her bed. Her eyes remain shut and her breathing's faster than normal, but not panic attack fast.

"I know you're not sleeping, honey. Nice try, though. Next time you're gonna pretend to be asleep, slow your breathing down."

I'm not sure why I'm giving her tips, maybe it's as a way to lighten the mood. Either way, she's still not talking.

The thing about me, is that I can be gentle or I can give out tough love. Wanda can't. She's too soft when it comes to her children, she won't push them which in some cases, is a good thing. But when it comes to this, there's limited options.

"Alright, trouble," I start, grabbing her from underneath her armpits and lifting her to stand up. Well, I try. But as soon as I place her feet on the floor, she collapses. She doesn't make a move to get up either, just stays there, limp on the floor. "Shit, are you okay?" I quickly ask, kneeling down next to her and lifting her head onto my lap. She does nothing but whimper in return. "Did I hurt you, Luna? Are you alright?"

"No," she whines, turning from side to side as if she's trying to make sense of how she ended up on the floor.

"No I didn't hurt you or no you're not alright?" I ask for confirmation, but she silences and I decide I can't do anything except put her back in bed.