9. Mom Cardigan

WANDA's POV

"I don't need you. I'll never need you."

Those words stung like a bitch. But since that moment and after I taught her how to use the phone, Luna locked herself in her bedroom. That was yesterday. She didn't want to come down for lunch or dinner, so I ate alone which I hate because I don't like feeling lonely. However, I understand that I'm not particularly a person she'd want to be around right now.

Today's a new day though, and I'm gonna try again with her. We have the whole rest of the day before Vision and the boys get back around eight.

With hope in my heart, I trudge up the stairs and keep my footsteps heavy so she knows I'm coming, but not too heavy that she'll think I'm angry.

"Hey," I greet her through the door. "It's me. I'm uh... I was hoping we could try again today? Start over, maybe?"

"Luna?" I try again after receiving no answer in the time span of two minutes.

I don't want to invade her privacy, I want to earn her respect and trust, but being a mom means that I will go at any cost to make sure my children are okay and safe. Something's telling me that Luna isn't. So, I make the logical decision to unlock the door with my magic, warning her that I'm about to come in so she still has a chance to kick me out if need be.

No protests are made against me entering the room, therefore I keep pushing the door open until eventually I'm in.

In all honesty, I was expecting that she'd be either drawing or sound asleep, given that it's only seven in the morning, but I wasn't expecting to see this.

"I-I'm so sorry, p-please don't hurt m-me, Wanda, I didn't mean to, I'll clean it all up, don't hurt me."

From the looks of the yellow-stained sheets and the faint stench of urine in the air, the poor girl has wet the bed. And now she's panicking like crazy because of it.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. Luna, just stop for a second and look at me," I instruct her and place a hand on her shoulder to stop her from moving. "You need to breathe for me, okay? You're having a panic attack."

"I'm-I'm not," she's quick to defend herself, but her rapid breathing pace convinces me otherwise.

"Come here, baby." With a loose grip, I guide Luna to sit on the floor with me, given that the bed isn't an option right now.

I sit her down opposite me and watch as she continues to attempt to catch her breath, her chest heaving heavily.

"Shh, shh, you're alright. You're safe," I whisper to try to keep a calm atmosphere. The last thing she needs is any more chaos right now.

"The-the bed."

"That doesn't matter, Lulu. It's just a sheet, it can be washed. I'm more concerned about you. I wanna try something, okay? Can you tell me five things you can see?"

Luna's eyes start darting around the room as she searches intently for items she could list. Until eventually, her eyes land on me, and they settle there.

"You. E-eyes, your eyes. Your necklace, y-your hands and..." Her breath hitches again.

"That's right, my sweet girl. One more thing," I coax gently, purposefully creating a red puff of smoke out of my hand as her fifth thing.

"Your magic."

"You're doing so good, Luna. Four things you can feel? Like physically touch."

Throughout the rest of the technique, Luna's breathing begins to slow. It reaches a pace that I decide I'm happy with.