12. Too Far

LUNA's POV

Today, Wanda's supposed to be taking me on a walk with the twins. It's the weekend now and it's been a whole week since I've lived with them all.

I'd say things have been getting a bit better. Wanda's still sleeping in with me because the thought of being left again terrifies me, but I still won't let her hug me. She can hold my hand and I can lean onto her if I'm tired, but I'm not ready for it to go any further than that.

I wouldn't say I'm scared of touch, just not used to it. Or at least, not used to it being used in a nice way.

"Lulu, are you ready to go out now? I just need to drag the boys away from their video game."

This will be the first time I've stepped foot outside... well, ever. If you don't count the car ride on the way back here the first time I arrived or Wanda teaching me how to fly the other day.

Luckily, due to the glass door leading to the garden, I've become less sensitive to the sunlight so this shouldn't be too difficult. My main concern is the amount of people there will be. Wanda said that since it's closer to evening time, most will be in their homes anyway so hopefully it won't be too busy.

"Yeah," I answer her question, visibly trembling at the thought of leaving what has now become my safe place.

"Baby, it's gonna be okay, I promise. You're completely safe with me," she tries reassuring me after noting my apprehension. I don't have much more time to worry about it before the boys come running over, scrambling to find their shoes.

"Mom, can we just do like a five minute walk?" Billy asks, clearly not wanting to spend any time away from his precious video games.

"No," Wanda replies, "Fresh air is good for you. All you two have been doing all day is sitting in front of the TV with your controllers in your hands."

She's using her mom voice, meaning no messing around. I've heard her use it a number of times already and it's funny to see the twins obey as soon as it comes out.

Once they've put their shoes on and have opened the door, I feel my heart rate start to pick up.

I don't think this will lead onto a panic attack, it's more of an anticipation thing. It's still not very comfortable, though.

"C-can you hold my hand?" I ask Wanda, and she doesn't waste another second in reaching down and entwining my hand in hers. It provides me with the comfort I need to do this.

-

WANDA's POV

We've been out for around fifteen minutes now and as promised, I've kept my hand linked with Luna's the entire time. She's doing so incredibly well and I've made sure to tell her that over and over. For someone who has had little to no human contact, apart from Strucker and those idiots, she hasn't had any negative reactions to other people passing by. It's fairly quiet since it's four o'clock but there's still a few out, mainly walking their dogs and whatnot.

Luna even worked up the courage to go and pet a golden retriever that came up to us. It's owner wasn't far behind but the boys really wanted to say hello to the dog so they asked and when given the all clear, they knelt down to give the animal some fuss and Luna joined them in that.

I think our relationship has improved. It's still a bit rocky, but that's expected. She's beginning to trust me more and she really likes spending time with me when I'm teaching her how to use her magic. I suppose it's something we have in common and can bond over.

Whilst the boys are racing each other ahead of us, Luna stays by my side and I can feel her trying to say something, but she's holding herself back for some reason.