14. Broken Birthdays

WANDA's POV

"Pietro, I can't do this. I can't bring a child into this world," I sob to my brother, just before another painful contraction hits me.

"It's already happening, Wanda. You're nearly done. Just a few more pushes and it's over."

As he coaches me through it, I keep my eyes fixated on the moon above. It's a full one tonight, really bright, too. It offers just enough light for Pietro to see what he's doing.

It's not long before shrill cries fill the cell, I look up and my twin is holding my baby in his arms.

"It's a girl," I breathe out, relieved that the immense pain is over. Yet panicking because I know I can't be a parent to this child, I can't raise her.

-

"Wanda, are you sure about this? I think you're making a really stupid decision. Why can't we just bring her with us?"

"Piet, I have told you a hundred times. I cannot keep this child, I have raised her until now and I can't do it any longer. Do you wanna keep arguing with me or should we get the hell out of here?" He silences. "That's what I thought."

"Mama, where going?" Lulu babbles, looking up from her building blocks and staring into my eyes. It's as if she knows what's happening.

I very quickly crouch down to her height, bringing her into my arms for the last time.

"I love you, okay? I'm sorry."

"Wanda, Wanda, it's alright. It's just a dream," I hear Vision say faintly before I shoot awake, feeling the tears streaming down my face already. He doesn't wait another second before pulling me into him and holding me tight.

It's Luna's birthday. And every single year on this date, without fail, I have the exact same dream. It starts off with the night I gave birth to her, then skips to when I left her all those years ago. I knew this nightmare was coming, that's why I always dread the night before her birthday. Sometimes I even have the dream more than once.

Since Vision never knew about Luna prior to this year, he's never actually noticed that I've had the same nightmare on the same day every three-hundred and sixty-five days.

"What do you need, Wanda? A day off? I can look after the kids," my generous husband offers, I'm nearly tempted to take it. Then I remember that this year is different, I don't have to worry about where Luna is or what could have possibly happened to her. Because she's here, in our home, in her bed and sleeping peacefully.

"I just need to be with her. All day," I whisper, looking up to him with my teary eyes.

"Okay. I'll go and get the lads up and ready. Maybe I can bribe them to stay quiet with the new video game I bought them."

I chuckle slightly at his words. There's no way the boys will stay quiet if they have a new game, but I think it'll be okay.

After Vision has left our room and I've trudged out of it, I make my way to Luna's and stand outside her door, waiting for her to respond to my knocks.

LUNA's POV

For some inexplicable reason, I woke up today feeling absolutely nothing. All of my emotions turned off and replaced with a numb feeling sitting in my stomach and chest. It's heavy.

Which is why I can't bring myself to answer Wanda at my door. Although, I wouldn't complain about getting a hug from her right about now. I've found them to be rather comforting, more than I could have ever imagined.